British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first planted aquarium, and I will try to update every week. Hope every thing is done correctly. Never thought there are so much to learn to have an aquarium.:lol: Based on my google research, it will take about 2 months, so this will be a big test for my patience.:rolleyes:

Tank Size: 20 gallon Long
Substrate: Tropica Aquarium Soil
Temperature: 20 degree (room temperature)
Lighting: finnex fugeRay Planted+ 30 inch (12 hours a day with a timer)

Plant: Eleocharis acicularis mini (I want to have a nice hairgrass carpet without lots of trimming)

Routines : open the cling wrap every other day to allow air exchange, spray water every 2 days to keep humidity.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1 - Week 0

- Pour the soild in
- Layout the Rocks
- Spray the soil with Dechlorinates Tap Water
- Split the hairgrass into small chunks (This step is so time consuming :eek:. took me about 1 hour to split 3 pots)
- Planting with tweezer
- Spray the plants and soil again
- Covered with Cling Wrap

Questions at this moment, hope someone can help me.

- I am wondering if I need to add some liquid fertilizer into the spray water. I have some seachem flourish.
- Not sure if 20 degree is bit low.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 1

Ok, it's been a week now. Everything looks very quiet, and I see no difference from Day 1. A little bit brown shown up here and there. I stopped spraying because of the humidity seems enough. So far no signs of algae.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've done plenty of emmersed growth~ and this is just my 2 cents~
12 hours a day will cause unwanted algae~ With the way your plants are split in areas, and being hairgrass as one of the slowest growers for emmersed growth. The algae will take over before the hairgrass even reaches the open areas.
Hair grass is actually quite a fast grower in a tank, but not when it's emmersed (at least from my experience many times)
Spraying water every other day seem excessive. If you trap the vapor with a glass canopy or plastic wrap, you shouldn't need to moisture twice a day. With the amount of moisture and light, you'll cause algae.
I've grow over 50 different plants emmersed, no I don't consider myself as an expert. But I have tons of trials and errors before. But some plants just don't work as well emmersed.

Again, this is just my personal experience. Lets hope no one flames on me LOL!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done plenty of emmersed growth~ and this is just my 2 cents~
12 hours a day will cause unwanted algae~ With the way your plants are split in areas, and being hairgrass as one of the slowest growers for emmersed growth. The algae will take over before the hairgrass even reaches the open areas.
Hair grass is actually quite a fast grower in a tank, but not when it's emmersed (at least from my experience many times)
Spraying water every other day seem excessive. If you trap the vapor with a glass canopy or plastic wrap, you shouldn't need to moisture twice a day. With the amount of moisture and light, you'll cause algae.
I've grow over 50 different plants emmersed, no I don't consider myself as an expert. But I have tons of trials and errors before. But some plants just don't work as well emmersed.

Again, this is just my personal experience. Lets hope no one flames on me LOL!
Thank you for the advice about the spray, this makes sense to me. I will spray when it's needed.

As to the growth rate, I always heard growing emmersed is much faster, but since this is my first tank. No experience at all.:lol: I will give it some time until I finally lose my patience to flood it. :p

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If it's your first to planted. And you want a easy carpet plant.
Try emmersed glossostigma elatinoides. They are much faster growth, and they are much easier for you to care for.

One thing when growing emmersed. Just try to put as much moisture as required. Algae blooms when it's too wet, too warm, and too much light.
Try to mist it when needed. I use to only mist once a week or once every two weeks.

Anyhow, I'm sure others have their input =) and good luck~

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's your first to planted. And you want a easy carpet plant.
Try emmersed glossostigma elatinoides. They are much faster growth, and they are much easier for you to care for.

One thing when growing emmersed. Just try to put as much moisture as required. Algae blooms when it's too wet, too warm, and too much light.
Try to mist it when needed. I use to only mist once a week or once every two weeks.

Anyhow, I'm sure others have their input =) and good luck~
:( It's too late to change plants now. I will just let it go. Thank you again.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
=) Nothing to frown about!
It's all part of learning!
Besides, I didn't saying you're doing it wrong~ I just said it'll be really really really slow, and algae may take over if you have too much water in it~

If you do see algae, Swap the soil a little. So cover the soil that you see algae with, with the soil that doesn't have algae. Without light, they can't really grow =)
And maybe shorten the hours. Yes, growth will take longer, but you also lower your risk on Algae~ =) I'll post you a pic or two when I get home. Hopefully it helps you out~

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Eternity is right. The shorter plants like Glosso and HC will grow faster emersed while the DHG and S. repens and such have about the same rate as immersed. But in your case, you have all the time in the world so it doesn't matter, since you're willing to be patient. Looking good.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Week 2

Week 2
-------------------------------------------------------------
I can see some growth now.:) No algae so far.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Week 3 (Day 21)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
In this week, I have experienced some white web fungus on few spots. After stopping spraying the water and leave the wrap open for 2 days, everything was back to normal, and the grass is starting to show some noticeable growth. :) eternity302 was right, high humidity will lead to algea, which in my case fungus. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Week 4 (Day 28)

Things are doing well this week, and I can see some runners here and there. The annoying white web fungus came back again, I think the humidity is still too high, so I decide to leave the tank 1/3 open to allow more fresh air. Hope I am doing the right thing. Instead of spraying every two days, I now only deeply water once a week. I got this idea from how people water their backyard lawn. They water deeply 2-3 times per week, rather than daily. This will help roots go deep.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Week 5

While I still have the patience, but seems my son cannot wait any longer. I decided to flood the tank this week. Everything looks not bad, not much cloudy happened, and the mini hairgrass looks fine with diy co2 system.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Week 6

After bombing the co2 for 7 days, the mini hairgrass are doing very well. :)

Runners are everywhere.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's really taking off. Great job.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Week 7
--------------------------------------------------

The mini dwarf hairgrass is still strong, and the water is tested and seems it's ready for the fish. 3 zebra danios on Monday to try the water, and then 10 neon tetras on Tuesday and Sunday. So far so good. More neons will be added next week, and I am planning to have 15 of them. Also add a new plant, but I only know it's from bacopa family. Hope someone can tell me what is it.

This is the plant I don't know the name.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts