British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my vals were not doing good again. so i cut them all right above the roots is this ok they should just grow new growth ?

·
Registered
742 Posts
do you know why they aren't doing well? vals do like harder/higher ph water. It does really poorly in acidic water in my experience.

·
Registered
742 Posts
5 is acidic, 7 is neutral.

Mine seems to do better at 7.5 ph. Anything less than 7 and mine wouldn't grow at all and then melted.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Mine seems to do better at 7.5 ph. Anything less than 7 and mine wouldn't grow at all and then melted.
mine is at 5 so ill try seven and hopefully some new growth

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

what about KH ?
and for vals what should i all know for KH and PH and is there any thing else . my hygro . sprite and other plants all do fine butt the vals . im doing something wrong

·
Registered
440 Posts
Are you adding Excel or Metricide? Vals melt like ice on a hot day if you add this stuff. They also like a good substrate like Eco-complete.

·
Registered
742 Posts
personally I'd just take out the vals. I wouldn't change my water chemistry to fit one plant, I'd just get another type of plant.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you adding Excel or Metricide? Vals melt like ice on a hot day if you add this stuff. They also like a good substrate like Eco-complete.
no i don't use that the only time they ever grew nice was when a used a fertilizer tab puck thing they worked but is there something else im doing wrong

·
Registered
10 Posts
do you adjust your hardness? my Vals melted a while ago but ever since I started playing with Gh and EI ferts they're starting to send off more leaves.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now all my plants are getting brown i now nothing about plants im gonna stuff fert tabs under all my plants and see what happens. if no good im gonna go back to plastic plants

·
Registered
10 Posts
EI is Estimative Index. We have a stickied thread about it. Basically, you slightly overfertilize the water and do large weekly water changes to balance it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts