British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am new here and joined as I am in the midst of a crisis in my 90 gal. Thought I would say hi and introduce myself as I battle some mysterious illness working its way through my tank.
I have 3 tanks going, a 5 gal betta - tho its empty and being used as a hospital tank/death tank- as my gf calls it now as everything that goes in dies in a matter of days....ugh.
Anyways I have a 5 gal that I think will eventually be filled with a betta of perhaps a pea puffer - not sure and wouldnt mind any advise if that is a bad idea.
Also have a 45 gallon that is primarily a tetra tank, there are a few sweet plecos and loaches in there too. might add some Rainbows to that one as there is lots of room still. I dunno, maybe apistos or rams too...... cant decide.
Finally the current trouble tank... the 90 gallon angel tank. I put a lot of thought and care into making this one and I really enjoy it, execpt fro right now as this thing works its way through.

Gerald.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey TomC, thanks for the info. I'm a little surprised that 5 gal could house so many. All I have read have advised 1 only as they get territorial and kinda vicious with each other.

· Registered
11 Posts
All my problems went away with my angelfish when I started feeding them less. I feed them Monday, Wednesday, Friday. 2 times on those days and just enough food for them to eat within 15-30 seconds. Mainly just pellets, I like the NorthFin 2mm slow sinking cichlid pellets, I switched from Fluval bug bites because 1 you get way more for your money, and 2 they don't disintegrate and turn to dust. I also feed them frozen brine shrimp and freeze dried Australian black worms as a treat maybe 2-4 times a month. Avoid bloodworms too. (Just my opinion.)

· Registered
11 Posts
That's interesting you got away from the BugBites and are happy. I'm beginning to think it makes some fish more prone to bloating and may switch out of it myself.
Yeee BugBites are like crack for the fish. They love it and go crazy, but yeah I've heard bloating problems before. And when I get to the bottom of the container like 20% is wasted and turned into dust.

· Registered
2,583 Posts
Hey TomC, thanks for the info. I'm a little surprised that 5 gal could house so many. All I have read have advised 1 only as they get territorial and kinda vicious with each other.
I kept 8 in a 15g tall, which has a footprint of 1 ft. x 1 ft. They were mostly fed on frozen bloodworms, live baby brine shrimp and snails.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All my problems went away with my angelfish when I started feeding them less. I feed them Monday, Wednesday, Friday. 2 times on those days and just enough food for them to eat within 15-30 seconds. Mainly just pellets, I like the NorthFin 2mm slow sinking cichlid pellets, I switched from Fluval bug bites because 1 you get way more for your money, and 2 they don't disintegrate and turn to dust. I also feed them frozen brine shrimp and freeze dried Australian black worms as a treat maybe 2-4 times a month. Avoid bloodworms too. (Just my opinion.)
Thanks for that, I actually have no issue with the angels themselves. They are all good and thriving. Its the Columbians that are having an issue. I will try holding back some feedings and see if that hepls anywho.

· Registered
764 Posts
What type of issues did you have when you fed the angels more?

I keep mainly bottomdwellers and use New life spectrum thera A as the bulk of their diet alternate with bugbite (will swap to NLS insectum but fish doesn't seem to go crazy over them) and xtreme scrapper (was using NLS algaemax but will swap to repashy soilent green)

the algaemax, scrapper, and bugbite seem to make certain fish more bloated. Maybe from the amount of expansion they have after being in the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts