British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have two bristlenose plecos, approximately 3 - 3.5 inches long, which I bought on Saturday August 17 (five days ago) and put in my quarantine tank. Unfortunately, my QT is only 10G and there's not much room for the BN plecos to move. This is exacerbated by the "furniture" in the tank, a hollow fake log (approx 10" long) and a little "cave" decor, both of which I put in to provide a sense of security from the ability to hide, but they take up a lot of space.

Note that there are also 8 kuhli loaches also in the QT (bought the same day, but I didn't have a second QT so I put them in together...bad idea?). The kuhli loaches seem to love going in and out of the log and cave, but I rarely see the BN plecos in there at all. (The plecos do, on the other hand, lie on top or snugged up beside the log a lot.) They're usually lying on the bottom of the tank, and there's not much room for them. Watching them try to move, they remind me of someone trying to parallel park a school bus in a crowded parking lot, as they maneuver themselves by awkwardly shimmying around on the bottom, or onto the outside of the log etc., not swimming up into the water to turn around.

Today is day six, and I'm feeling anxious to get them into their ultimate home, a 50G tank, but I also want to be smart and cautious by quarantining just in case. The 50G currently has five congo tetras and seven silvertip tetras that have been in the tank for over a year, and one juvenile BN pleco (1.5 inches) bought last month and already moved to the 50G tank after three weeks in quarantine. Note that the juvenile BN pleco is doing very well, extremely active, constantly moving around the tank or visibly munching on zucchini throughout the day. The larger ones in quarantine are much less active, though I've started seeing signs that they've been eating at night finally. For the first few days, I couldn't see any visible signs of this. BTW I've been feeding them a variety of foods, including fresh vegetables, algae wafers, critter crumbs, and some meaty items put in primarily for the loaches (e.g. sinking wafers, as well as defrosted brine shrimp and blood worms), so they've had access to that as well. I feed the loaches in the morning and the plecos at night, though I've also put some blood words in at night in case the BN plecos want some. (The loaches don't seem to like that, though they love the brine shrimp.)

The BN plecos have a deep chocolate colour and no signs (that I can see) of fin problems, white spots, etc.

Think I should keep them in the QT tank for a proper quarantine period, or move them to the 50G? Obviously, for the future, I should have a larger QT to avoid this problem, but this is what I'm working with for now. Thanks for your input!

(Note: the QT has a cycled filter that I was running in preparation for use in a QT. The water parameters are and have been throughout 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 10 ppm nitrate. The 50G is an established tank, about 1.5 years running.)

·
Registered
960 Posts
I don't think a 10 gal is too small for a temporary tank for them personally, but if you are anxious to get them into a bigger tank sooner you could put one of the fish in your current 50 gal tank into the 10 gal with the potentially "sick fish" and see if it develops any problems (~2 weeks?). If it does, then you know you have a problem and can treat it more easily in a smaller tank. If the fish is fine, you can add them all to the 50g

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am maintaining good water quality with water changes, but was just worried they seemed so confined. Thanks to both of you for your feedback and suggestions.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I'd keep them in QT for a reasonable duration, really no point in putting them in there in the first place for less than a week.

As the above opinions, although not ideal, as long as the water conditions are great like you mentioned and the filter is keeping up with the bioload, there's no real sense in rushing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts