British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have a lightly stocked 20 gal with two cories and 6 neons and a revolving door of guppies. No matter what I try the guppies don't last more than a week whereas all the other fish have been fine since I put them in. I have used the equilibrium I use for my shrimps in, tried a bit of salt (not too much cause that would harm my cories), turned off the heater and let it run at room temperature, everything I could think of to make these guys happy. Just lost my almost ready to burst with babies female so I am quite upset and close to giving up on guppies and trying an easier "starter fish". Any ideas how I can keep my one remaining female guppy happy or what fish I should try and swap to?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Where did you buy the guppies?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Guppies aren't always as easy as people sometimes say, especially in our soft water. If you got all of them from one source, maybe try again with fish from someone else.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Harder and more alkaline water

Reactions: Jousters

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got them from two different locations because I thought one just had bad ones but apperently it's not them it's me. I still had my girl last night just waiting for the light to turn on to see if she's around still. Must have blown 50$ on guppies by now

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Are you using anything for buffers? Perhaps your pH is fluctuating. Equilibrium is fine for hardness, but does nothing for KH. Depending on my tank, I add either Seachem Alkaline or Tanganyika buffer or baking soda to raise KH to keep pH stable.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I add a bit of Epsom salt with equilibrium.
Also some
Wholesalers use salt then if they go into lower hardness and ph they crash. Also some guppies are bred in freshwater and some not. So they go up,down, up, down . And then they crash. Going up is ok going down they get ph shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Is there a way to change ph without adding chemicals or?
Some people use crushed coral, but it never really worked for me. If you don't want to go the additive route, aragonite gravel/sand in a filter media bag in your filter will add some KH and increase pH. Seachem Florida Crushed Coral (actually it's aragonite) is the best product I've used for this. Trial and error as to how much to use for your tank volume. But I find baking soda so much easier to use and control, for example I want carbonate hardness of 5d KH for my goldfish, 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a 40g 100% water change will get me there. pH is rock solid, it doesn't move. With aragonite sand, new water coming into your tank will still need time to be filtered through your aragonite sand before it slowly buffers to the level it should be. That may or may not be too much of an adjustment period for some fish. YMMV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts