British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a dilemma, I am about to purchase a place and as I was going through the minutes I found that there is an aquarium restriction. Under the bylaws the tank could not be larger that 33G.

My current tank is 65 and I have 8 Discus (it is a bit tight) and smaller tank will be even tighter. Has anyone here kept successfully large discus in a 33G? If so, how many fish did you have in it?

Your comments are much appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that thought has crossed my mind... On the other hand I don't want some wise ass charging me $200 every two weeks for being in violation of bylaws (there the strata council for you...)

Tell them it is a 33 G and that your discus don't piss or shit on the rug...

·
Registered
549 Posts
My feelings are that the modern day strata council harbours nazi's from WWII.... Maybe even a new breed of super Nazi...... How dare someone tell me how I can live in my own place.... And take away my comforts in life...

I'd FREAK OUT if someone charged me money to keep MY fish tank...

that's just my thoughts.... you seem like you have a more civil head on your shoulders

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree with sholz Just play dumb and say that you thought that it was a 33 gallon. If the issue ever comes up, which I doubt it will, because the strata council has no right to inspect the private parts of your residence.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I agree with the rest of the guys... it's not like they're "Fish Geeks" like us! LOL! They can't eyeball a tank like we do and figure out how many gallons!

btw... are you sure it's 33gallons? I dun think they would restrict it to 33gallons that specific? cuz the last time i heard strata's limiting aquariums in the house, which is only few weeks ago, they made a limit at 30gallons.. so if i'm correct, even with a 33 gallon you're breaking rules! (and ofcourse, all stratas have different rules)

Anyways, lets name all the rules our strata has broken
No satellite tv - 4/10 households have it
No parking in firelane - every household does, as there is not enuff parking
No parking in driveway entrance - there's a household that does daily, who cares
No buying new dogs, unless dogs been with you over 3 years - ehh.. I have a new dog bought last year, 2 set of neighbors bought new dogs as well
No parking in visitors parking - ??? Sure!
No aquarium over 30 gallon! Sure!! I've had over 300 gallons of water in my house one time, all neighbors came by to visit! =)

Okay, just one thing you need to know... make friends!! As long as ur good with them, there's no reason why they wanna care! Besides... no one likes to be a rat!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I just think if it's a mated pair then a 33g is fine, but that would mean wc's daily!!

OUCH

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My feelings are that the modern day strata council harbours nazi's from WWII.... Maybe even a new breed of super Nazi...... How dare someone tell me how I can live in my own place.... And take away my comforts in life...

I'd FREAK OUT if someone charged me money to keep MY fish tank...

that's just my thoughts.... you seem like you have a more civil head on your shoulders
If you think about it is kind of stupid what's the difference 33G or 65G... worst case scenario a leak will it make a difference it it is 33 or 65...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. My wife suggest the say saying we should play dumb...

The bylaws did specifically mention 33G limit as well as that there is a fine if you are in violation... as someone said here what a bunch of Nazis

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's the way :D

Thanks everyone for your replies. My wife suggest the say saying we should play dumb...

The bylaws did specifically mention 33G limit as well as that there is a fine if you are in violation... as someone said here what a bunch of Nazis

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I recently asked my dad whether his condo has an aquarium restriction, and apparently it does, too. They let barking dogs in and one of those dogs knocked my mother off her walker, which is a lot more dangerous than, say, having a tank leak.

I can think of 3 worries that a condo association would have: 1) the weight of a large tank couldn't be supported by the kind of construction in the building, particularly a wood-frame building 2) a big tank could leaking and damaging another person's apartment, and 3) the condo association has property insurance which would be voided if there is an aquarium in the building.

If your apartment is on the main floor (concrete underneath) or it's a concrete building or you have had the condo inspected, then the weight of a tank is probably not an issue. In that case, perhaps you could ask the condo association to allow you to have the tank? That way, you could be upfront about it.

Otherwise, I agree with Scholz that you could just move in with the tank and not say anything, especially if the tank wasn't sitting in plain sight of the door.

However, if the neighbours in the building are at all as friendly as you'd like them to be, chances are your tank will be discovered one day, and by a member of the council. Some council members, particularly seniors, can be sticklers for rules and you could end up in in an unpleasant situation, not only arguing with the council and feeling bullied by them, but also casting black glances at your neighbours. That would not make for a very happy home.

I'd probably ask the council if it was possible to have an exception for your aquarium, particularly if you have a main floor suite over a concrete parkade. But, that's just me. I really dislike conflict with my neighbours.

·
Registered
646 Posts
keep ur 65, if they see the tank and ask about it; tell them its a 33. i highly doubt they will go to the ends of the earth to figure out what it actually is..

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'd probably ask the council if it was possible to have an exception for your aquarium, particularly if you have a main floor suite over a concrete parkade.
I wouldnt do that. If they say no, that eliminates the option of playing dumb.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts