British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am looking for feedback from any members in what they are doing to keep their PH at 7 or below. I am keeping SA cichlids and lots of Plecos and want around 6.8 or so.
My city water and my tanks are all at about 7.4 (ish).
This is new to me and used to be the other way around with me trying to keep my ph up.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're keeping discus. The driftwood would help, but in reality, it's a losing battle to try to alter the pH of the tap water as every time you do a water change, you're going to get a huge fluctuation.

Driftwood definitely works, as well as peat in the filter.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
some driftwoods work as well as almond or oak leaves.
i've never had a problem keeping ph down though.
and i think we are on the same water.
are you sure you don't maybe have some coral in the filters and forgot?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Huh. Where I am (Burnaby), the tapwater comes out at around 6.0 I have to increase it for some of my fish, along with water hardness.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're keeping discus. The driftwood would help, but in reality, it's a losing battle to try to alter the pH of the tap water as every time you do a water change, you're going to get a huge fluctuation.

Driftwood definitely works, as well as peat in the filter.
Agreed, change the substrate if you are worried about PH, or add stuff to your filter. Additives such as leaves and such will take time to take effect after a water change. At least with some substrates there is such a wide surface area (and by design) it will lower PH and maintain that buffer. Florabase, ADA soil, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts