British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am having trouble finding a kH booster for my South American tank that won't raise the pH level.

Anybody have any info on what to do?

AquaAddict

·
Registered
960 Posts
As from wiki - Potassium carbonate (K2CO3) A known food additive. This adds carbonate without raising pH. The potassium is a bonus if you have a planted aquarium.

I've never tried that myself though. I use an African style additive - baking soda, table salt, epsom salt

Reactions: AquaAddict

·
Registered
294 Posts
As from wiki - Potassium carbonate (K2CO3) A known food additive. This adds carbonate without raising pH. The potassium is a bonus if you have a planted aquarium.

I've never tried that myself though. I use an African style additive - baking soda, table salt, epsom salt
That will raise the pH (actually... it'll do it much more so than baking soda. Carbonate is a stronger base than bicarbonate).

Unfortunately you can't adjust KH without impacting pH; it's just the way the carbonate buffer system works. Although there are some cheats sometimes. What are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I'd try equilibrium . My hardness is higher in my shop tanks but still lower in ph. I add some at intervals so they have minerals .

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Everybody,

For some strange reason, Steve's reply reminded me of CO2/ Matrix dosing which I used to do long ago when I had the energy and time. At that time my kH was never a problem. So I am trying a little bit of Matrix but haven't tested yet. Will let you know.

April, I always thought Equilibrium was for general hardness only - not so?

Aquaddict

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Again,

Oops, sorry folks. I meant Metricide, not Matrix. Sorry about that.

I still have a 1/2 bottle of Metricide so, 10 ml in 92 gal tank raised the kH from 1 to 4. No increase in pH.

AquaAddict

1 - 7 of 7 Posts