British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't think the whole closed microsystem is a good idea at all. It probably is viable but you'll need to do a LOT of maintenance contradictory to the advertised "low maintenance".

If you look at his 3 gallon picotank in the video, he has a filter, I don't see a filter at all in his jar. Water movement is crucial in salt water systems, allows for proper diffusion. Even though I don't keep salt tanks, I have observed that salt keepers have extremely large filtration systems with different reactors which keep the system balanced. I'm going to guess that the jar concept will probably crash really quickly without some serious water changes.

Second, his 3 gallon was open top, allowing for gas exchange between the environment, looks like the jar has a lid which will probably suffocate the whole system in due time as the oxygen content will drop rapidly especially at night when respiration occurs.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
I own this kickstarter project: NoClean Aquariums - Home. I'm going to use it for Shrimp I think. It was given to me as a gift.
That No Clean Aquarium is really cool looking! Did you get yours set up & if so how do you like it?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
this is NOT a good idea

problem one people are going to want to put fish into it with a small tank like that you cant watch some one add a baby hippo tang

problem 2 your going to need to wc it every few weeks how am i superposed to mach salt and ph in that small of a tank not to mention some one with no fish experience watch some one add fresh water

problem 3 as it looks that light is not full spec it will dull the corals

problem 4 there is no water move meant salt water tanks need flow !!!!its the second most important thing in a tank when my power went out in a storm that's what i was concerned about not lighting or a heater

5th problem no heater its going to get cold unless its in the perfect spot and a novice aquarist probably wont think of this

please correct me if i got any thing wrong besides my spelling lol

if you really want some thing like this its going to cost 70 bucks to set up like the one there selling for 350 bucks

o ya for got how do you clean the algae off a tank like this any one into salt water know not to stack rock against the front glass and try to avoid it on the sides

·
Registered
188 Posts
Because this project not funded yet , and wont be in the market till end of the year

Sent from Petguide.com App
Algae scrubbers were a thing before the project. It's a similar concept to growing chaeto in a sump to out compete algae elsewhere. With this, you're out competing algae with algae, plus using it to scrub the water of other toxins like ammonia. The basic pieces for a scrubber are:

- surface to grow the algae
- light on that surface
- water flow around that surface

so, like in the page linked above, you could build a scrubber with a screen, lightbulb and pump. He's just selling a quiet and nicely packaged one.

I'm curious to see if anyone here has first hand experience with using an algae scrubber in a tank. The 'never water change again' claim seems pretty dramatic.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Algae scrubbers were a thing before the project. It's a similar concept to growing chaeto in a sump to out compete algae elsewhere. With this, you're out competing algae with algae, plus using it to scrub the water of other toxins like ammonia. The basic pieces for a scrubber are:

- surface to grow the algae
- light on that surface
- water flow around that surface

so, like in the page linked above, you could build a scrubber with a screen, lightbulb and pump. He's just selling a quiet and nicely packaged one.

I'm curious to see if anyone here has first hand experience with using an algae scrubber in a tank. The 'never water change again' claim seems pretty dramatic.
Sorry I thought you meant this specific one

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
188 Posts
even if you dant have fish or feed the tank you still need to wc to replace nutrients
I'm not actually interested in doing a water change-less tank. I'm just curious to see if other people have used algae scrubbers as part of their tanks life support system.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
An ideal Kick-starter project - A better way to automate WC in a more controlled manner.

Combining the best of what the Python and Canister Filters provides - with safety options to avoid spills.

1. Auto Extract and Refill (Controlled Quantity at a Time) - Timer and WC Volume to be set by user.
2. Easily attached to any faucet - like the Python WC hose attachment.
3. Allow fresh water coming in to be conditioned (i.e. Filtered, UV, Temp) before releasing into tank.
4. Water Quality to be tested Automatically (easily readable in Display Panel).

When going on extended holidays or if one requires a daily 100% WC . . .

Other features that would be ideal?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
That self cleaning betta aquarium has actually really tempted me into getting one...if only it wasn't $70!
If someone made like a 5G tank with the same idea for a more reasonable price..I'll have betta tanks in every room!!

But as for the mini SW tank...not sure how adding 3-4 corals makes it an additional $150 lol..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts