British Columbia Aquariums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yea theres no space with the light where it is an nomater what you do or add you will still have stuff grow on the glass
After seeing 3 of this kick starter fish tanks I really don't think the idea of small and compact works

·
Registered
514 Posts
the fact of the matter is, 99% of the kick starter stuff is garbage, i would bet most are products already pitched to large companies like hagen and got turned down because they're simply not any good, i wouldn't be putting a $1 into any of these.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Not really a good idea to do small no, with fish tanks bigger is always better/easier. But I love the idea of aquaponics both using my cichlid tank to grow my wife's orchids,jade tree,aloe vera and then the koi pond outside to do veggies and flowers. If they made a nice kit to add to tanks or ponds I'd be in for sure

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
I use the small fw tank on Felicia's desk to water my indoor plants (along with the "wash" water from rinsing out my rice for supper) and the outdoor koi pond for water my veg & fruits outside.

Small is nice when you start, but it soon becomes either overgrown or polluted. The "solution to pollution is dilution" and you're not getting a lot of dilution with only 3 gallons of water (not counting substrate, etc.).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Interesting... How does it work?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I came across this thread, and thought, I'll add one too - it is my own! A CO2 meter/controller that directly measures CO2 in the aquarium:

OCO meter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4612189/oco-the-worlds-first-co2-meter-for-aquariums

Just launched last night.

Tim
I'm pledged. I'm really looking forward to this. I expect it's more accurate than trying to gauge CO2 diffusion into the water via pH and much faster than using a drop checker. A must for planted tank hobbyists.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Interesting... How does it work?
I too would like to know how it works. The whole campaign itself is pretty vague as to how CO2 is actually measured. Does it measure the amount of CO2 that leaves the CO2 tank as a pure gas or does it measure it directly in the water as a dissolved gas? I would have to assume that some sort of chip/sensor is being used to measure the CO2.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts