British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had introduced some new fish to my jewel pair (inbreeding mode)
After a water change the next morning i find , 1 fish half eaten the other two just dead no apparent bite marks.

Do you think its the water that's bad? HELP PLZ

Tank info and what i did is below.

The fish introduced were
One 2" Parrot fish
Two 2" Clown loaches
One Catfish

Setup
110 gallon tank
Ph -7
Nitrate and nitrite Less than pink? or 20 ppm
temp ~25 celcius
Filtration-ac110, topfin30, Fluvail 105

I Cleaned my fish tank using a siphon, did about 50% or 50 gallons.
Refilled with heated water first 30 gallons into a Rubbermaid container, added dechlorinator and 7.0 Buffer powder. Then filled tank from bucket to tank.

The next 20 gallons i just let the water straight from the tap to the tank ( I added extra de-chlorinator to the tank so Chlorine shouldn't be an issue.

I did move some of the decor a bit not by much.
Parameters are the same except nitrate i believe is now less than 50 ppm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
jewels r aggressive at the best of times. usually they will try and scare other fish away but if they dont get the message they will kill them or chase them into exhuastion. how long has the tank been established. also, did you test parimeters of the water the other fish came out of to make sure it was same as yours?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I'm sorry that you lost your new fish.

Just guessing, but I think that the jewels are responsible for the deaths, rather than the water. I think that if it was a problem with the water (big difference in pH or hardness, for example), one or two of them would have survived until morning at least.

You probably couldn't have prevented this without sitting up all night with a flashlight. (I'm guessing.)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
Why use the buffer though? Tap water should be about 7ish anyways. When I stopped buffering my water I stopped losing fish.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for your loss.
Why use the buffer though? Tap water should be about 7ish anyways. When I stopped buffering my water I stopped losing fish.
I lost a few Oscars when my Ph crashed, this was due a water change when i first got my new 110 tank, The water killed the bateria in the filter and then when i added the fish back the next day they started to die a few days later. Amonnia burn.

Also my test strips are kinda always reads 6.0, so add a little buffer so water Ph does't change to rapidly, although 5 times a month week should be okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts