British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to turn my 20 gallon community tank into a species specific tank for golden wonder killies. Can anyone tell me what plants, deco, etc would be a good fit for these guys. i think they are from india or indonesia.
what temp as well. i read 76 is good, but i also read some killies like cold or room temperature water.
they like soft water with a pH from 6.5-7.5 right?

I would like to keep 1 male and 2 females and try my hand a breeding them. how can you tell the two apart?
Will they readily breed or do i need to condition them?

Here is what i have in my tank right now:
Java fern, java moss, bacopa, and wisteria. the plants would have to be low light cause i don't have the money (or time) to upgrade to bright light plants.

Any info or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I used to breed these guys (about 20 years ago). They really like to jump, so a tight fitting lid is absolutely essential. They like floating water sprite and will use the roots to lay eggs, though java moss works too. The eggs are large and easily picked out. I found that they only lay a few eggs at a time (or eat most of what they lay). this turns into difficulties since you end up with fry of many different sizes and the larger fry out compete or eat the smaller ones.

It depends on your objective, if you want to raise many fry to sell or trade, then you need several 10 gallon grow out tanks for the various sizes of fry. If you want to just have a few, then keep the top of the tank heavily covered with floating plants and some fry will naturally survive and grow out. Either way a good culture of microworms is an asset.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts