British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe me - I tried a lot for this years but without any results. But this time did absolutely nothing special and it happened. Actually already saw babies swimming.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. The tank is small plecos community tank - I didn't expect L239 spawn and now thinking what to do with RAMs which are hunting babies ...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are Black Knight ram - pretty new strain. Have four of them from Rick - stunning fishes. Had to separate them to different tank dispate they were ready to spawn.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
749 Posts
This is super cool. I'm interested in your setup info and stocking, and what you had tried in the past to get them to spawn.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Probably mostly related to being able to keep them alive for quite some time. i find these panaques very sensitive to pH.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found them very sensitive to acclimatization from the wild and, after that, even after several years, stressed for a long time by re-homing to even the same water parameters, as well.
But other then that I believe it depends on how lucky you are with the particular import batch. I had bought these beautiful fishes may be 5 or so times over several years from the same local importer and, except for the last (current) group, there was always different issues with them - not eating / sickness (very sensitive to ich) / sensitivity to the water params instability, specially pH crash (even more then other plecos).
I didn't have those usual problems with my current group - from the beginning they were healthy, active and not skinny, and I got a good M/F ratio, so they got dedicated 29g which was empty after my L340 breeding project finished. Still - lost several fishes. They are mach more territorial then similarly sized hypancistruses. Tried wet / dry periods simulation on them, different type of foods for may be 18-20 months after which they were rehomed to 65g "pleco community" tank as I needed space for (very successful) L260 project.
This 65g is old and stable, eco complete substrate, lots of caves covered by wood. Similar sized small plecos - L239, L260, L340, L288. Temp 27, 50%wc/3days, 50ppm hardness, pH ~6.5 . Feeding a mix of NLS with 50% of it Algae Max pallet and wafers. Lots of current.
L260 and L340 are spawning periodically in this tank, but till recent I've never seen L239 even occupying a cave. 1st spawn attempt was a "dry run", 2nd attempt was in a week and so far is a total success (after RAMs are in a separate tank).

·
Super Moderator
5,278 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa.... that’s ALOT of current in that tank! Holy flying plecos.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts