British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new to the forum and currently living in Golden, BC.

I picked up a group of 16 young Lab. caeruleus "Ruarwe" over Christmas from Spencer Jack when I was home visiting in Manitoba. I trekked them back across Canada to Golden. They were 1.5" when I got them and now most are approaching 2". These guys have incredibly rich colour, and are more of an Orange/Yellow than your standard Electric Yellow. I picked them up wanting something different from the norm and hopefully start supplying local fish stores to curb the influx of poor quality mbunas and especially Electric Yellows.

For beginners, Labidochromis caeruleus are great because they're not insanely aggressive, have bright colours, and don't outgrow your tank.

So far the group looks fairly male heavy, but it's still too early to figure out how many females I have. I moved out a couple of the lesser males and the most aggressive male. I chose the best looking male who is also one of the least aggressive which is a plus.

I've been doing 3 x 25% water changes per day to get them growing and hopefully breeding soon.

Here's a couple pics from when I first picked them up and had them in a tank in Manitoba.
Light Green Water Fin Yellow

Underwater Fin Organism Fish Yellow

And a couple updated pics from last night. No flash used or colour editing, this is close to their actual colour.
Water Eye Fin Organism Underwater

Water Fin Underwater Fish supply Fish

·
Registered
560 Posts
Gorgeous mbuna! Much better colours that what I have seen locally. If your gonna breed em, def worth getting good stock from Spencer Jacks, Wet Spot etc. You should have no problem getting rid of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate. I always try to buy from reputable suppliers. Huge pet peeve of mine seeing hybrid mbunas and other cichlids when the wild types are always better looking. Hope to get em going shortly. Unfortunately they take a long time to grow out. =/

·
Registered
66 Posts
Awesome! Are those F1s? And welcome to the site. I'm new to it also.

Sounds like you and I have the same thoughts about mbuna. Only the best, flush the rest! :bigsmile:

I'm just getting ready to set up my 75 gallon mbuna tank. I'd definitely be interested in a couple of your fish, if you have too many! Do you ever come out to Kelowna? I won't be breeding them..., just a show tank this time. Promised my wife I wouldn't go nuts this time around! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Ya I'm pretty particular with the fish I keep, always have been.

They're tank raised not F1's. Tough to get any WC or F1 Labidochromis in North America without having to take a second mortgage out. Haha Regardless, I'm happy with them.

I'm also growing out 5 Lab.caeruleus "Nkhata Bay" (white labs).

Won't be heading out west til Spring/Summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya he's the Dude. I have him and one other male in with the gals now. The rest are in a bachelor tank. There's a bit of variation in the amount of black exhibited on the males. I chose the two males that had the most amount of black in the fins for my breeders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts