British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 1st comment & advice was for you.
Genuinely trying to help you with your plight.
Malawis do not belong in little tanks.
My 2nd comment was towards the other piss poor advice (IMO) you're being given. What decision you make is your own. Quality of life you want to provide is yours to establish. Personally, my Malawis thrive in a 6ft 140g. Tried a 4ft 90g but found that it just wasn't right. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to live in just my living room with 10 or 12 of my friends & family no matter how much the air was filtered & changed. just food for thought.
I cannot agree more. especially with the piss poor advice...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Totally agree with both comments below. Kodak's comment can be looked upon the ideal view of what would be best for the fish. I personally keep them in a 6ft tank myself. I tried 4ft and wasn't too happy, so moved them to 6ft and I found the fish to be more happy. They also grew to a very big size (bigger than average)

My 1st comment & advice was for you.
Genuinely trying to help you with your plight.
Malawis do not belong in little tanks.
My 2nd comment was towards the other piss poor advice (IMO) you're being given. What decision you make is your own. Quality of life you want to provide is yours to establish. Personally, my Malawis thrive in a 6ft 140g. Tried a 4ft 90g but found that it just wasn't right. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to live in just my living room with 10 or 12 of my friends & family no matter how much the air was filtered & changed. just food for thought.
4' tank for smaller africans and a 6 footer plus for large africans.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
cichlids don't school, I had a 33g with malawian fish in it and all i had was 3 fish and even then I felt bad. they are now in a 90g i feel a little better but I'd be happier if I could get them into a 130g or bigger..
My aceis school together and my yellow labs join them lol. But like I said, my fish are nice with each other lol.

·
Registered
182 Posts
so what cichlids ARE good with 33g?
Not much more than dwarf mbuna or Tanganyikan Shellies. I have seen 33g species only Saulosi tanks, but I dont think it would be a longterm arrangement. A 33g aquarium is just not suitable for many african cichlid species.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
you can find some cookie cutter stocks on this site for different tank sizes
Aquarium Quick Reference Resources - Cichlid Keeping

dwarf mbuna have different tank requirements than an open water malawi hap aka "utaka" for obvious reasons, to address all malawi species and tank requirements together (there are over 800 malawi species with only about 300 of them currently described by ichthyologists) is a bit silly imho
33g is enough for some of the smaller malawi species, like the dwarf mbuna's
there are even malawi shellies if u want: Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum
they only get to be 2.4 inches long

Not much more than dwarf mbuna or Tanganyikan Shellies. I have seen 33g species only Saulosi tanks, but I dont think it would be a longterm arrangement. A 33g aquarium is just not suitable for many african cichlid species.
there you go

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've kept a small colony (~12) of yellow labs in a 30Gallon with success.

I dont see why you cant keep a colony of demonsani cichlids (I haven't kept them, but size wise they are similar to the labs)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've kept a small colony (~12) of yellow labs in a 30Gallon with success.

I dont see why you cant keep a colony of demonsani cichlids (I haven't kept them, but size wise they are similar to the labs)
It's just not optimal, not even close. The way I truly feel about tank size in the hobby is a 6 foot tank is not even optimal. Most aquarists overstock, alot overfeed, the combination does not have a positive outcome for most in a set up of this size. Then one has to take into consideration the amount of rock added to the tank and the displacement of water. 33g tanks are mainly a stage of tank that is used in the grow out process of africans. A 33g is not a long term tank for an african cichlid hobbiest.

Demasoni are a dwarf cichlid but I think a colony would be to aggressive in a 33g longterm set up.

Ps. I have seen 4" labs and I do not believe an adult group would thrive under these conditions.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It's just not optimal, not even close. The way I truly feel about tank size in the hobby is a 6 foot tank is not even optimal. Most aquarists overstock, alot overfeed, the combination does not have a positive outcome for most in a set up of this size. Then one has to take into consideration the amount of rock added to the tank and the displacement of water. 33g tanks are mainly a stage of tank that is used in the grow out process of africans. A 33g is not a long term tank for an african cichlid hobbiest.

Demasoni are a dwarf cichlid but I think a colony would be to aggressive in a 33g longterm set up.

Ps. I have seen 4" labs and I do not believe an adult group would thrive under these conditions.
agreed, theres some pretty large yellow labs in a little shop on kingsway near victoria, across from the church's chicken, and ipu in burnaby has some large aceii (5 inches roughly) that i saw there last week.
i think as juvies a 33g is fine but they will outgrow it, though itl take some time.

you can do what i did and line breed them too, keep a mating group till they get too large and then trade/sell them on here and raise their juvies as a mating group, repeat. the aceii i have are 2nd generation immigrants to my tank :) the yellow labs/demasoni are already breeding regularly at < 3 inches

i'll keep doing this till i can get a much much larger tank, i want frontosa + compriceps eventually.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Just dont mix the two as adults, or juvie comps with larger fronts ... :D
ah, what about pearly white calvus's then with fronts? or is it better to just have the fronts with some shellies and perhaps a few brichardi?

i saw this pic on your site and thought they could work together, (the one below the pearly white calvus) are those juvie compriceps?

i love the brown compriceps pic 2nd from the top, your gallery is awesome.
what are the compriceps personalities like compared to the fronts?

·
Registered
182 Posts
maybe just fronts then w/ some shellies
and maybe some brichardi? :)

what are the compriceps personalities like compared to the fronts?
The Fronts will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. They might not be so bad when they are young, but a large frontosa can take a good bite out of a good size fish, let alone swallow anything that fits in ones mouth.
;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I think I'm just going to go with a nano reef instead -_-

·
Registered
182 Posts
Fronts and calvus/comps will work, but it's not a long term set up.
Shellies are neat little fish and are great to watch.. If you do decide to keep shell dwellers you can set up a very attractive/natural looking set up and have the tank space to do so. I would not give up on them unless the shellies do not interest you.. If this is the case then I'd do the nano salty.
:D

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

I guess this would also depend on how much water changes you do and the filtration that is in place. Maybe it wasn't a great advice after all since
most people dont overfilter like me. I like 15 - 20x GPH for filtration.

I also "forgot" to mention that the labs I had were young adults (~3-3.5") and were doing great. I did move them to my 125 Gallon recently though (because I think like you a lot)

·
Registered
185 Posts
What would someone suggest for a 65 gallon tank then? (Not to steal the thread...)

I don't want the overstocked + overfiltered idea. More room, the better, no? :D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
What would someone suggest for a 65 gallon tank then? (Not to steal the thread...)

I don't want the overstocked + overfiltered idea. More room, the better, no? :D
you could do 10-20 fish in a 65, all depending on what fish you put in it. If your thinking peacocks I would do more then 10 but if your doing mbuna you could probably get away with 15-20 fish. Just my opinion

21 - 40 of 42 Posts