British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for cheap/free white sand substrates for my two 10g tanks... Or if anyone knows where I can get them cheap... Those sand in Pet stores are so expensive! I researched on the net that I could get pool filter sand? Does anyone know where to get them?

Many Thanks from me and all of my fishy friends!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have a 5 gallon bucket full of unused white sand. It may be silica sand though. Check and see if it will work with your puffers.
If you want it I will trade you something or sell it cheap. PM if interested. it doesnt work with my plecos.

You can get poolsand at the Beachcomber hot tub store by J&L On Lougheed in burnaby. about 20$+ a bag

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have a 5 gallon bucket full of unused white sand. It may be silica sand though. Check and see if it will work with your puffers.
If you want it I will trade you something or sell it cheap. PM if interested. it doesnt work with my plecos.

You can get poolsand at the Beachcomber hot tub store by J&L On Lougheed in burnaby. about 20$+ a bag
last time I spent $30+tax for a 50lb bag at that place. I got the same for $20+tax during winter time...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Fish World Langley has small bags way enough to fill up a 10 gallon tank for 8 bucks plus tax. That's where I got mine :).

I pm'd you back btw. :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
the beachcomber guys told me 20 plus tax about 2 weeks ago, they were sold out though and restocking last week.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
If you are looking for silica sand, go to Lordco Auto parts. They call in sandblasting sand. It's more or less white/off white but its a big big bag. 50lb at least and I think maybe more. Last time I bought it was around $15. Pool Filter sand is a natural tan/beige with variability in the colours of the actual grains. Looks natural. Also, is not as sharp as silica sand. ie. rounder grains. Pool shops should sell it for about $15/50lb bag.

·
Registered
54 Posts
your tank are 10G, not sure what kind of filter system you are using. But 10G tank is not deep so sand can easily be sucked into the hanging filter and damaged the filter.

I paid $18 + tax for pool filter sand last year summer so $20 sound right.

·
Registered
264 Posts
prices are usually higher over here!

I'm looking for cheap/free white sand substrates for my two 10g tanks... Or if anyone knows where I can get them cheap... Those sand in Pet stores are so expensive! I researched on the net that I could get pool filter sand? Does anyone know where to get them?

Many Thanks from me and all of my fishy friends!
pool filter sand isn't white but both pool supply stores on the north shore were less than 15. for me including tax. In a hurry? Do you drive? I can see if I can get you the "contractors" price tomorrow. d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts