British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am looking for a hardy bit of cleaner crew for my new 75g planted. Its in the process of cycling so i'll probably just want some shrimp or snails so having a lose isnt a big deal. Malaysian Trumpets, Ghost Shrimp, Red Cherry Shrimp or anything that breeds fast and is hardy and they will be used as a food source later. I live in richmond but go to UBC so my weekdays are busy. Thanks and tank on!

·
Registered
192 Posts
As hardy as they are, cherry shrimp wont tolerate an uncycled tank. Not a snail expert, but pretty sure some snails also wont tolerate it either. Maybe ramhorns and pond snails, but I would think twice about adding them.
Then again, you have a very large tank and starting with just a few shrimp may be ok. Still wouldn't advise it though.

If you got a mature filter, you could speed up the process by using the filter media.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As hardy as they are, cherry shrimp wont tolerate an uncycled tank. Not a snail expert, but pretty sure some snails also wont tolerate it either. Maybe ramhorns and pond snails, but I would think twice about adding them.
Then again, you have a very large tank and starting with just a few shrimp may be ok. Still wouldn't advise it though.

If you got a mature filter, you could speed up the process by using the filter media.
it's been cycling for multiple weeks with old filter media and already has nitrates

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump for my tank

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump looking for ghost shrimp or trumpet snails

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
bump looking for ghost shrimp or trumpet snails
Malaysian Trumpet Snails are really hard to eradicate (because they bury in the substrate). I would suggest Ramshorn or Pond Snails as a scavenger. Amano Shrimp are a better and easier shrimp to keep, just be mindful that they can be aggressive feeders and may intimidate shy fish.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Malaysian Trumpet Snails are really hard to eradicate (because they bury in the substrate). I would suggest Ramshorn or Pond Snails as a scavenger. Amano Shrimp are a better and easier shrimp to keep, just be mindful that they can be aggressive feeders and may intimidate shy fish.

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!
Agreed. I have trumpet snails in one of my tanks and I just threw away about a hundred.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Best regards,

Stuart

Tankful in Vancouver!
Agreed. I have trumpet snails in one of my tanks and I just threw away about a hundred.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
I wanted them so they could aerate the soil but if they really are that much of a pest maybe not :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do you have sand? MTS are great for sand substrate as they aerate the sand so air pockets don't build up.

I bought a bunch of ramshorns from a member here I can donate a few to you to get started (they multiply fast)

·
Registered
114 Posts
What are you planning on doing with your tank? What type of fish are you planning on putting in it?

Amanos are great and hardy but they won't breed. CRS or RCS will breed easily but not as good of algae eaters as the amanos.

If its going to be a community tank, the amanos would be perfect as they would be okay with community fish and will continue to eat algae after you add fish. Other smaller species may get eaten. I'm not too familiar with snails so I can't comment much on that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can give you/others a few MTS in S Surrey for free
Thank you but its exam season at UBC so I won't be going that far until the end of the month. I'll be at the auction in April though!

I would also love some amano's but their price from the fish stores turns me off. I already have 4 (had 5, found one ripped in half randomly a few weeks ago) and one seems to have eggs but I don't have a cycled brackish tank to put the brood into to hatch.
If anyone had any home grown amano's at a reasonable price I would be wayyyy MORE than interested. I love em.

Any particular reason no one seems to carry ghost/glass shrimp around here?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your best bet for Amanos is Canadian Aquatics. Pat may be able to meet you at UBC too.
thanks I will check them out, probably buy about 2 dozen in a bit or I may wait for the auction to see if any pop up

ramshorn are amazing cleaners but they're annoying to get rid of. i have ramshorn if you're interested :)
I've read about these guys and i'm worried they may chew my carpet :v, I think I had some on plant I recently bought but I "popped" em all before they multiplied

1 - 19 of 19 Posts