British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can buy bulk crushed coral? I know JL has it but they are out of stock.

I just need a little bit for a 10g tank. The pH took a dive from 6.8 to 6.0(maybe lower since thats lowest on API test kit) and the kH is at 0.

TYIA.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I got a small bag from Pet habitat in Coquitlam. You could give them a call and see if they have some.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
OR, you could raise your hardness and make everything better! I feel like I am chasing my tail on this subject. I cannot stress the importance of hardness more and the CC is not going to do it. When we figured this out it was fantastic, all I want out of this is for others to enjoy their aquariums more. If you are not familiar with what I am talking about, there is a sticky in our sub forum. There has also been many posts recently on this subject but few seem to be willing to take the step. Why I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
depending on where you are I have a huge bag we can split for cheap cheap cheap

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grant, thank you for directing me towards your sticky. I had no idea crushed coral did not increase hardness. I actually thought it increased both gh and kh. I will look into replenish or alkaline buffer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you cycle (powerhead) a bucket of water with CC in it you will get your KH approx 4-6 and your GH to 5-7 in around 24 hrs.. Though the number seems high, for some reason its not complete. Meaning that KH and GH comprise of other elements some i.e. calcium, magnesium is more in abundance than outers.....Alkalinity is Carbonates which ties into KH (please correct me if I'm wrong). Not sure what the full composite of CC is, but the GH that it puts out is not enough\complete. Depends on what your are raising and what you are trying to achive you may need to use some additives to balance it out. As an example, I was starting a new tank and I thought that my KH and GH was OK using "A LOT" of CC alone (KH 5 GH 7). I was lucky as I started crushing some pond snails, and the shell were really soft. My pond snail shells are harder in my discus tank with a lower KH and GH. I increased\balanced my GH with some additives and withing a week the shells were hard again....also bump my KH up too on purpose. Basically a little investment to save a lot of money and headaches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts