British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for something ' special"
that would make my fish tank ( 15 gal) stand out from all the other generic ones.
Any suggestions?

Also Looking for SAND!!!!!
about 30 pounds or so for the abovementioned tank.
Preferably meet somewhere close to me if they want to sell the sand because I have no vehicle.
Thus, I'm not dragging a 30 pound bucket of sand from Surrey to Metrotown... not happening

·
Registered
43 Posts
you could make it a brackish tank... keep a figure 8 puffer and some fancy snails, as well as possibly a couple mollies. The puffer will cheerfully eat baby snails & baby mollies. Snails are important to the diet of puffers... shrimp species are also recommended, and will probably also be eaten by the puffer as it grows. Figure 8's grow to about 3" which is about perfect for your 15 gallon tank as long as you're not keeping too many other fish (puffers are very territorial and might or might not tolerate tankmates for very long). I'd try and keep some java moss for snails/shrimp/mollies/etc to munch on.

I love puffers they're awesome.

Pea puffers are adorable... they only get up to about 1" so you could try keeping a couple if your tank has plants or hiding spots.

Other than puffers... hmm...

The fancy guppies were a good idea. If you're willing to spend the money you can get some beautiful varieties for a show tank.

People do set up 15-gallon marine nano tanks, but due to stability issues associated with small tanks, this is definitely not recommended unless you have past experience with saltwater aquariums.

You could try a 15-gallon planted tank, if you find various low-light plants or purchase a quality lighting system. I'm sure many users could help you find & procure low-light species for your tank. Plants generally do not fare well in brackish water, so this would not work well in combination with mollies & figure 8 puffers.

I'm interested to hear more suggestions from other users - I'm sure we all want out tanks to be unique and satisfying, even the smaller tanks.

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
how hard are puffers to keep? currently i got a sailfin in there would they be compatible?
How about dwarf cichlids would they work?
Anyone have any puffers to sell me?

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BUMP TTT
Looking for fish to fill the middle and upper strata. currently
I have the lower strata done. 2 Cories and 1 Sailfin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, sailfins get big o.o;;
Probably better just to get some shrimp or maybe snails for algae duty.
Although if you get puffers they'll cheerfully eat the snails, and probably the shrimp also :p Nice thing is, they don't contribute to bioload as much, 'specially if they're getting eaten :D

Seriously though... the pleco should go. Trade it for some shrimp.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If Algae is the concern, a couple of otto cats & or Ammano Shrimp will help.
I'd recommend a couple of both.
Cheers!!!

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the sailfin from another user on BCA that had it in a 15 gal for 3 years.
I don't think it'll grow anymore. But if it grows yea i'll have to switch to a larger tank

·
Registered
485 Posts
sail fins dont tolerate any other plecos near them, just a heads up on that one... and if they are fed they should exceed 8 inches easy!

Maybe get some endlers?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I got the sailfin from another user on BCA that had it in a 15 gal for 3 years.
I don't think it'll grow anymore. But if it grows yea i'll have to switch to a larger tank
WOW! Definitely stunted growth!

I recall reading a thread from you before the crash! And i definitely recall alot of different suggestions! I guess you still haven't made up your mind, umm.. maybe wander around the pet shops and check out what setups they have? And see which one you like most? everyone has their own taste to their own aquarium! =) Good luck!

And I can't agree more with the others on guppies! they grow on you over time, they reproduce into different colors, so you can't really go wrong =)

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately, I did not get to read any of those suggestions because the thing crashed. and I put it up before I went to bed for the night.
And Mr. Sailfin is probably stunted.
I want a pea puffer. You have any idea which shops would have it?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I've seen quite a few at Fraser Aquarium in Vancouver East! Check them out, BRING CASH, you can haggle the prices =) just thought I give you a headsup on that!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
btw... since you said you wanted a brackish tank.. I use to have archer fish! They're amazing, if you keep them in good condition, they have a complete yellow tail and a nice yellow glow! And they can shoot bloodworms off your fingers =) luved doing that! Until they were adopted by a high school science teacher =) glad it wuz for good cause!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts