British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.

i'm looking for any type of baby food for tiny angelfish babies.

First time for me to raise baby angelfish.

they are a swimming now and I don't know how to feed them.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Hi Myaquaria,
I have at least 3 kinds of powdered fry food. One is Hikari First Bits and two are by Sera. I don't remember what they are. None of them are liquid, but they're a fine powder.

If you want to come by I can give you some of each in a baggie. I think with this kind of food, a tiny bit lasts a long time. I can also start you a microworm culture.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
x2 on Hikari First bites. Much less work than microworm cultures or BBS hatcheries, and it works just fine for many species, including angels.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
mine raised on micro worms first bites. with the powder i mix in water then shoot down with an eye dropper cause the weeist ones of mine took a while to come to the top...that way you can target the foos to where they r hanging out as mom and dad may chase them away when you come to feed.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Good idea, OnefishTwofish. I never thought of mixing the powdered food with water and shooting it into the tank with a dropper! I'm going to try that.

mine raised on micro worms first bites. with the powder i mix in water then shoot down with an eye dropper cause the weeist ones of mine took a while to come to the top...that way you can target the foos to where they r hanging out as mom and dad may chase them away when you come to feed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i have micro worm and banana worm cultures as well as vinegar eels. great food for fry.

anjie =)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Seriosuly wicro worms have got to be the easyest live food to keep ever...

A 5 year old could keep them.

I've got a spare culture sitting here right now...

I'd feed micro's and BBS mixed... San Fransico Bay Brine shrimp are smaller and better for really small fry.... I'm betting angel fry aren't that small though

·
Registered
173 Posts
lol :D so many choices... :)

the best first food is always the one/s that work and work well for you..

they're all good

anjie:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Banana worms? Please tell me that bananas don't have worms in them?
Banana worms are just a Nematode similar to micro and walter, but they are found in (around) the root system of Banana plants.:)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
sorry to intrude like this, but I am interested in a little more details about microworms.

Do the microworms release something in the air? foul or toxic smell? I have a pregnant wife at home and I am wondering if it will be safe for our baby.
Do I have to keep the microworm culture indoors or can they be left outdoors? I am assuming they are temperature sensitive??

BTW, I have angelfish fry too (my current batch is 9 days old). I hatch live BBS for them. I feed enough for the day and then I use bottle caps to store the left overs and freeze them. This way, I only have to hatch them once or twice a week. I also use finely crushed NLS pellets for the fry for emergencies.
When the fry are free swimming, they are really tiny and crushed flakes are still too big for them. From my experience, it takes at least 1 month for the fry to be big enough to accept crushed flakes.

My best advice for their survival is:
1. Food (live if possible for the first 2-3 months)
2. Very clean water.

I've lost whole batches of fry because of slight foulness in the water. Make sure to clean up the left over food every night. A sponge filter is not enough.
I know its a little off topic, but this information is very important.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts