British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a true SAE or two to deal with a hair algae attack in my 25-gallon planted. I'd prefer to find a trade, or, honestly, I'd be fine with just borrowing your fish for a couple weeks :p Young ones would be better, due to the size of my tank, which houses 6 young congo tetras, a small pleco, and a few cherry shrimp and snails (will be upgrading to a much bigger tank in the next 6 mos or so, so don't worry about my congos or pleco :p)

I have small amounts of quite a few types of plants available for trade, or a 5-gal undergravel filter, or a 550g container of Sera Bio Balance (increases hardness & stabilizes GH/pH), or a fancy air-powered breeding trap, airstones, and probably other stuff. I might even part with a couple baby blue moscow guppies (you can wait until they grow out a bit).

It's kind of urgent I get rid of this algae before it takes over everything >.> I've been increasing my CO2, cutting out phosphates from my fert regime, giving the lighting a midday break... but I'd rather be physically rid of the stuff than just kill it... please help!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem will re occur most likely so having SAE or Shrimp full time would be better.
I have a few shrimp and am working on getting more... I'm hoping that the other measures I have taken will keep this from recurring but in the meantime I want the stuff GONE o.o;;

Do you think SAE would be alright in the 25gal long-term? I mean, I'm going to be upgrading, but as it stands it can wait up to a year (for fish currently in the tank)...

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
No SAE is a long term fish. Once they hit a certain size they ignore the majority of algae and just eat prepared foods. Shrimp on the other hand never let you down. This is particularly true of beard algae. I am not too sure which algae you have as they are commonly confused. The dark green or black fuzzy style of algae is quite common in Vancouver.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm... sounds like perhaps a plan.
Amanos are pretty too :) I mean, as red as the cherry shrimp are, I think I sort of prefer the amanos... should pick some up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
won't the Congo's eat the shrimp? I feed my ABF crickets and my Congo Tetra get more than their fair share. I know the shrimp can hide but I would think the Congo Tetra's would eat them sooner or later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
won't the Congo's eat the shrimp? I feed my ABF crickets and my Congo Tetra get more than their fair share. I know the shrimp can hide but I would think the Congo Tetra's would eat them sooner or later.
The congos are still quite young, so they're not big enough to eat my adult cherry shrimp. The tank is also quite well-planted, as I mentioned... and the congos tend to ignore anything that falls down below mid-tank-level. :)

·
Banned
409 Posts
Get a Panaque Pleco.....be algae eaters ever....I have a huge piece of driftwood in my tank that had 2"+ brown algae on it....these two Green Panaque worked like lawn mowers and had it cleaned bare in two days

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.