Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, they call l 144 rare too and have no known breeders listed
i dont trust that info.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
many un-reported fish are being reported. Most smaller types to medium size, even some bigger size like L25 are being reported all over the world.

Though Gary is right. Not many types of ancistrus sp. are being exported. Most ancistrus are on the very low end price fish. Collectors don't really want to spend extra gas and expense to get them. So that is why most are coming and looking like the same one from the wild all the time.

But Planetcatfish.com does give you very good general idea of fish and photos. There are much more information there about catfish than many many other sites.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have some L180s (I believe). There are so many black ancistrus with white spots they are almost impossible to tell apart. Unless you can find out where they were collected. The only easy one to tell is L183, the dorsal fin has 1 hard and 9 soft rays. The L180s I have look exactly like the L100 you posted and are the same size.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some L180s (I believe). There are so many black ancistrus with white spots they are almost impossible to tell apart. Unless you can find out where they were collected. The only easy one to tell is L183, the dorsal fin has 1 hard and 9 soft rays. The L180s I have look exactly like the L100 you posted and are the same size.
the l100 were almost red with white spots i thought?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I didn't mean they are rare fish. But that they are uncommon to be able to purchase. After all, if you could sell a fish for $50 (a Pseuda), why would you go and collect one worth $3?
im hoping because not everyone collects hoping to make a future proffit.
i dont pick any of my fish based on their "value", appearance and behavior ftw :p

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you miscontrued (or maybe I mis-explained) collector to mean like an enthusiast. The people collecting the fish at the sites are fisherman and not hobbists. That's how they make their living, is the sale of fish.
ah yes, i misunderstood you, my bad.
its too bad, these l100s look really nice.

these things need to come from poorer countries where the fisherman will catch anything
like my african cichlids :p

(that was a joke btw)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts