British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've been TRYING to find mosquito larvae but I have had NO LUCK! So if anyone has any live bugs to feed bettas let me know, I'm trying to condition my pair on live foods only.

OR

If you have mosquito larvae by you,scoop em up and I'll pay you!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Canadian Aquatics has livefood

Or you can leave a bucket of water outside and the larvae will appear after a bit, thats what i used to do

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
As Brian said put a bucket of water outside and it won't be long before you have lots of mosquito larvae. Daphnia is another great live food for conditioning bettas and it's easy to culture.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried the bucket of water, I left it for 3 weeks and it was empty :O( I guess I live in a too urban area.

How do I get daphnia?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Better yet, live black worms, you should see bettas hunt them
ya if you want live foods for bettas i'd give the black worms a try...

·
Registered
480 Posts
mykiss has black worms..also, what about fruit flies..i wonder if they would work? or springtails?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you try throwing in some lettuce or decaying vegetation into the bucket to produce infusoria? I've got a small culture growing, however, I don't have enough to supply you at the moment;( Try to avoid a place that is too windy as the chironomid cannot fight it. You can also try placing it closer to your house because light (your houselight) will attract some adults. I will admit it helps to have a neighbor's giant koi pond next door to attract swarms.

On an irrelevant side note, blood worms are the larvae of midges (aka chironomids), not mosquitos :) They anatomically resemble mosquitos in adult form, but they don't bite!

Best of luck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Seriously White Worms are awesome! Two reasons.

1. They are live and the fish think hey there's alot of good food around lets spawn.
2. They are very very very rich. So the fish can store up energy for the 5 days or so that the male is going to have to work 24/7.

G

·
are these mosquito larvae ???

if so i have a bunch in a planter on my patio ... you would not have to pay me but you would have to get them yourself because they sicken me :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HAHAHAHA... Those are mosquito larvae!

I wish I could get downtown within a couple days but I can't!!!! And by then they will most likely be adults or close to. But thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
daphnia is the easiest... and you will have them all year long (not just seasonally)...:) bettas love them. you can also get grindle and microflex worms

·
Registered
173 Posts
my Husband just said you can use pin head crickets and you can order them from any pet shop

1 - 17 of 17 Posts