British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also looking for Limnophilla sessiflora, also open to other low light plants,, but I need some fast growing ones more so. I need quite a few plants I want to densely plant my 5gal jug.. must be fin friendly and shrimpnfriendly. Let me know what you've got would like within surrey/ Langley but open if willing to meet up or drive to me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can check out my ad from a week or so ago--there Ludwigia and Rotala grow fast for me w/o CO2. I'll be in White Rock tomorrow.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't be able to get out to White Rock tomorrow unfortunately, my dad will have the van for work.. Wish I could go for the $5 and $10 package so badly. >it is such a good price!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to add that I am doing a silent cycle (now that I know there is a name for it. Lol.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I got some hygrophila semensis trimming, don't think the stargrass will do well in low light... But I'll probably be trimming my hygros soon and they grow really quickly. I'll pm you when I have more trimmings ready to see if you are still looking

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I do have tropica Limnophilla sessiflora in my 45 gallon and thinking about get rid of them as them grow too fast and start grow into the carpet with co2 and light I have. However I live in Burnaby and not sure I will trim them. I also have those dreadful dwarf ramshorn snails in my tank.

However, I think without light Limnophilla sessiflora will be kind mushy and they might not grow at all. (I had some left over on my 20 gallon when I upgrade the tank. I shut down the tank and left the tank idle for few months due to laziness and plants pretty much stay the same.)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you do let me know, I might be able to figure a way out. Lol

I have dwarf rams as well. ><

It will be low light, but I found a bulb on Amazon. It will stay maybe about 6" from the water. 10 watt 6,500 K zoo med compact fluorescent. But that's only if I can find a fixture for it

At that distance could it be safe to use an office lamp as a fixture?

·
Registered
379 Posts
hmmm..

I will see what I can do. I usually trim it during weekend like Saturday/Sunday and I usually throw them into garbage bag right away. (Which is the problem as I don't have anything to keep them alive. However I pretty much trim them like every week. (not only trim the top but also pull some unwanted out of substrate.)

I do have them in my fluval spec 3 as well but that tank has same nasty ramshorn that actually eat plants. It is pea puffer tank and I just leave the puffer and snails to alone and never feed the puffer.

Which reminds me, without the co2 Limnophilla sessiflora seem only grow up instead spreading. (At least that is the case in my fluval spec 3 as I only use flourish excel in that tank. There are differences between high light and co2 and low light without co2 as you can see it in my spec 3 and 45g bow front tank. I didn't trim the Limnophilla sessiflora in my fluval spec 3 and they keep grow up. If you want plants to keep shrimps safe, you probably can do with moss.
20150924_193640.jpg
20150924_194102.jpg

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All right. :)

Oh plant eating snail. XD thats not good.

I just like the plant in general. Debating doing a DIY C02 for the jug but still not too sure.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You are using sponge filter for the jug isn't? I am afraid it is waste of co2 in that case. Consider sponge filter not only creates too much of surface disturbance, but lock of water flow to keep co2 bubble in the aquarium. I think the co2 bubble will just rise to the surface and escape.

Which might also be the problem if you have really dense plants, because you will be locking water flow in the jug. While I am using spray bar with my fluval 306, I found Limnophilla sessiflora can reduce the water flow in the tank when they grow really dense. I Had to trim them to keep the tank water flowing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh right the sponge.
Well I have been looking into a DIY canister or if I can find a cheap nano canister. Nonetheless if the plant does not work out in the jug it can always go in my main.

Might not be able to get out to Burnaby all depends on my parents schedule at this point.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Open to medium light plants now. But must be fast growing without CO2

·
Registered
379 Posts
Take skytrain to Metrotown unless you are grounded. =P j/k

Why do you need fast growing plants? plants will grow fast if you have co2 and if you don't have co2 you will need to use liquid co2 like seachem flourish excel however shrimps don't like them and easy to be overdosed since it is around 5 gallon jur. I believe you want to put cherry shrimps in the jug.

If you don't need root on Limnophilla sessiflora it is easy for me to do as I can just trimp the top and I do it every weekend. However if you want root it will be tricky as I have to deroot them and it will be create a mess in my tank. (I did try to de-root some of Limnophilla sessiflora as I am trying to shift them into rotala wallichi.)

Limnophilla sessiflora can grow and regrow root just like green camboba and hornworth.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bad social anxiety. But lol no one is allowed to ground me... Considering I am 21.. Lmao.

Silent cycle. Plus propagation.

I don't think Burnaby will work for me. Not unless we are already going out that way.

Yeah, that is part of the reason why I like it. Easy propagation. XD

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bump bump bump looking for medium light plants also.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No longer looking thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.