British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for low tech and lowish light medium-tallish background plants for the restart of my standard 5.5g. I don't have any driftwood or soil substrate, so it has to be a plant that's okay being in gravel. Poked my head into my local LFS today and found their plants to be priced too high with poor quality and honestly it looked like the plant was dying. Hoping someone would have either advice or some spare plants I could buy off them. Thanks guys! :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
What kind of lighting do you have for the 5.5 gal? I will probably do some trimming for my hygrophyla siamensis and stargrass from my main tank if I have time this weekend or latest next weekend. They are great for background plants and from experience, wouldn't be too demanding for lighting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of lighting do you have for the 5.5 gal? I will probably do some trimming for my hygrophyla siamensis and stargrass from my main tank if I have time this weekend or latest next weekend. They are great for background plants and from experience, wouldn't be too demanding for lighting.
Just a basic desk lamp with a regular bulb. Couldn't find a hood for it for a reasonable price so I just use this instead.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just a basic desk lamp with a regular bulb. Couldn't find a hood for it for a reasonable price so I just use this instead.

What bulb are you using? Might want to look into bulb that'll have a useful spectrum for plants. If you ever head downtown, aquariums west always have really nice plants from tropica. J&L aquatics don't have much to choose from, but it'll be closer to coquitlam and they have some 1-2 grow plants.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really have the spare money right now to invest in a light for plants. My anubia and moss balls are still growing strong and healthy without fancy light or Co2

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What bulb are you using? Might want to look into bulb that'll have a useful spectrum for plants. If you ever head downtown, aquariums west always have really nice plants from tropica. J&L aquatics don't have much to choose from, but it'll be closer to coquitlam and they have some 1-2 grow plants.
Where abouts in downtown? I'm usually they're on Fridays for my volunteering

·
Registered
342 Posts
Even with low light, the plants will still benefit with co2. Try diy if on a limited budget. You'll find that even plants that are thriving in low tech situation will benefit from the added co2. Only reason why I went for pressurized for my nano was because it is in my bedroom and I didn't want to worry about making a mess in my bedroom with yeast and sugar haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts