British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Island pets had some smaller dats last time i checked.
didn't see any of the others though.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If your planning to comm them best to forget the bowfins and the aba aba. All your other fish is good as dead. Unless you're planning to do JDM style comm tank to spread aggression. With this style you'll need a good filter that can handle bio-load and massive feeding. Bowfins needs to be full every hour or it will kill other fish for source of food even similar size or bigger than they are able to take down. As for the aba aba, with your current stock right now. It got plenty of selective target unless you have lots and I mean lots of fish in the tank to disrupt the electric pulse from other fish. The more the fish in the tank and it will have no choice but to chill out as it will get confuse which one to kill. With less fish, it will able to pinpoint which fish it need to kill and then to the second victim. Best to keep them separate on each of their own tank or do a JDM style comm tank.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks earl =D i was planning on keeping the bowfins with my tig. / vampire in the 55gal.
you tihnk that would be a good idea?
and the aba i would want to grow out in a 33gal.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
thanks earl =D i was planning on keeping the bowfins with my tig. / vampire in the 55gal.
you tihnk that would be a good idea?
and the aba i would want to grow out in a 33gal.
If you're able to keep the bowfin full every hour it should be fine but however during the time your away, that's the main concern. Bowfins grows very fast and that tig and vampire will soon become food. Bought my bowfins at 1" and they are now at 6"+ in less than one month. Every week they add 1-0.5 inches. In 2-3 it will be 12"-15". They reach 18" the first year. A 55g is way to small unless you can upgrade to a 120g in the first year. Same thing with the aba aba. 18-26 inches in the first year and you'll be needing a tank with 30" width as aba aba are not very flexible fish. 33g is also way too small and it may only work for the first 4 months. Buy a 250g or bigger before getting bowfins or aba aba.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Oops.. btw.. 2 weeks or less ago, I saw small dats at Richmond IPU at $29.99.. i think! I never really look at big fish... haha, no room to keep them anymore, so I just pass by and rather not tempt myself!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.