British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am Grant and my wife is Christine and we are from Kamloops and have had aquariums for years. We recently just got a 72 gallon bowfront (we already have a 45g and a 33g) so I am looking for my dream fish. Here is a youtube video of exactly the fish I am looking for: YouTube - coral red pencilfish

It says the name is nannostomus mortenthaleri and it's also called "coral red pencil fish." We are planning a trip to the lower mainland this or next week. Does anyone have any of these fish? Do you know who does?

Thanks in advance,

Grant

·
Registered
430 Posts
Cool looking fish - now I want some - will follow this thread as I have no suggestions where to get them from :-(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi PD and MyKiss,

I am sure if Charles ordered some they would sell out. Just the picture of them is enough for people to want them, but not many people know about them yet as they are still quite rare (which makes people want them even more:)

Grant

P.S. If I go to the lower mainland, can I physically pick up the fish from Charles and avoid shipping costs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Coral red pencilfish are seasonal. You'll start to see them in fish stores in October, sometimes a little earlier, and by May they're usually all gone. They only come from the Rio Nanay and its tributaries in Peru, so look for Peruvian shipments.

I got all mine from Big Al's in Ottawa. A couple of years ago they sold for $13 a fish, and as little as $8.99 at the end of the season if they had some left over. Last year they went for $16.99, which is ridiculous. You'll get a better price from a dealer, and very occasionally they'll even have some in the off season.

Also, that's my video you linked to. :) Glad you liked it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts