British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

LF: peat moss

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  pieces71 
#1 ·
any body has some or where I can buy.....

#6 ·
thanks guy, PM me who has extra and how much will it cost,I really don't know how much do I need,this is the first time to use this coz most my tank has co2 so pH is low,I'm gonna put it in the canister filter so maybe one full of a basket of 403 and how will it last?

#9 ·
What killifish do you have?

two important things to know about killifish.

1. They jump. Like ninjas through ANY opening.
2. They don't like it bright.... like not at all. Good Plant cover and floating plants are your friends. Guppy grass... water lettuce... Riccia floating.... Anything to knock the light down is good....

Point #2 makes them great fish for low tech low light tanks.... There are alot of low light plants out there....

Killifish in general are tough fish... there are a few out there that need speacial water conditions and other speacial things. Killifish can be prone to velvet so add 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon of water to help prevent that. Also you may not need to add the peat to your tank depending on what type of killifish you have. You might have plant / mop spawners.... The reason people add peat to a killifish tank is mostly for them to spawn in. It's a great medium for that purpose. It is ussually boiled and placed in a dish in the tank. The fish then spawn into the peat in the dish. Another method that saves on the klean up of peat everywhere is useing an old margrine or tupperwear container. cutting a hole in the side at least an inch wide then stuffing something in the hole. put some rocks or weight inside to hold it down then stick it in the tank let it fill with water then unplug the hole. the peat that will float floats up past the hole in the side and the peat that sinks stays below it. The fish swim in and spawn away..... easy clean up and harvest of the eggs...

P.S. Killifish are going to become more and more popular!

#11 ·
They are non annuals :) so mop/plant spawners. Havent got em yet, eggs are ordered. I was going to use the peat for plants, etc...but just as good in my garden i guess :) getting a collection of plants together for cover. Have 2 48" 32w (maybe??) phillips lights on top...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.