British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need to reseal my 29g long tank asap. I can get the silicone for 5$ but I need help with the rest. From what I hear shouldnt take long. Let me know :)

Edit: For people who's head this went over, I'm not asking for free help. I'm more then willing to pay. I just want to learn and watch the first time, so I can be confident in doing it the rest of the time

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
to be honest, I would learn to do it yourself. You will be surprised how easy it is. Just make sure you get a full tube and have a chalk gun. Just put a consistant bead on the edge you want to seal. after placing the edge, go over it again and smooth it with your finger.

Its only a 29 gallon too! make sure it holds water outside before you bring it in!

Alex

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
.Resealing a tank is more time consuming than it is hard. Here are some good articles that helped me learn to do it properly:

Resealing an Aquarium, by Nick Spinelli best article

How to Repair and Reseal Aquariums: Fixing a Leaky Seal or Replacing a Broken Pane of Glass in a Tank | Suite101.com

here's a great vid, I believe this is one of the members here:
another vid:

You'll want to make sure you don't go too deep into the joint. the first article explains best how to cut out the old silicone , as well does the vid.

Also here's is a thread about the sealants:
http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/diy-area-18/silicone-sealant-aquariums-7448/

Hope this helps & good luck.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very true and i'm sure it's not hard. I'm even a glazer! lol. But I don't want to do it, as is the whole point of this posting.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
There should be someone here who would do it at the average rate of $45 - $50 an hour. You can easier buy a good used tank for that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No one works for free & I'm sure you wouldn't Volenteer either; As the other members explained "it's too easy" & if my 9years old nephew can do it, so can you; Remember its a fun hobby & if you can't even re-silicone your own tank, than this hobby isn't for you.

Best of luck

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No one works for free & I'm sure you wouldn't Volenteer either; As the other members explained "it's too easy" & if my 9years old nephew can do it, so can you; Remember its a fun hobby & if you can't even re-silicone your own tank, than this hobby isn't for you.

Best of luck
Wow rude much? Did I ask to get it done for free? Maybe I want someone to help me the first time so I can do it from then on with confidence. Dont have anything good or useful to say keep it to yourself.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Best of luck
And yes I've volunteered to help many people. I even help Doug from african rift cichlids and his friends. ON MY OWN TIME WITH NOT ASKING FOR ANYTHING. Sorry I guess your mentality on helping others is a vancouver trait.

It's a hobby with a small community. Asking for help is so out of this world to you?

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Unfortunately for some people it is. And it is not a Vancouver trait....please do not go there, as it is unnecessary. One person does not represent a whole city. At any rate I sent you a PM with an offer to do it for free. Being your new to the forum and this is the first thread you posted, I think it may be taken all wrong. But to show you this community is about friendliness, kindness and generosity. I will reseal it for you as personal welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about all that, but I've seen that mentality a lot here. So I've gotten pretty bad impression of Vancouver since being here. But yes I know in a smaller community there are way more people willing to help out then ones with nothing good to say. Thank you very much I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Sorry you had a bad run in, you'll notice that more people will be willing to help than bring you down. Welcome to BCA, good luck.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you call me Ill help you step by step very simple just msg me

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Bring the tank to me with silicon and I will show you. I've done my 30 and with some help I've done my 120. Scherb taught me some extra when he did my 120 compared to my 30. It's the details that count. I'm a great trainer and very patient. I'll do some you'll do some more. Only way you'd learn
Shady280 has the spirit of BCA unlike that other uninspired guy. Most of us here at BCA will do whatever we can to help others. I would gladly help out but I am in the same boat never having to do this before.

Reactions: Reptiles&Fish

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hello ReptileGuy. you bet this is the place to ask, and if i was closer i would gladly help for gas and a 6 pack. but Diztrbd1 posted 2 good links, and it really is easy to do. so if you can't get help try it your self. just test it in a leak safe place. or take shady280 up on his offer, i'm sure he could help you get it done. Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts