British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
True Siamese Algae eater does not exist in the hobby. All fish with a trade name Siamese Algae are any of this species:
-Crossocheilus langei
-Crissocheilus atrilimis
-Crossocheilus oblungus
-Crossocheilus citripinnis
Most common are langei and atrilimis.

-true Crossocheilus siamensis are not available in the hobby anymore and possible extinct in wild.

·
Registered
370 Posts
April, what is your price and what size?

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
The ones I've always gotten and effective at bba . Not
Flying fox . It's what they are labelled as and they are always the same .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Generally we get the SAE as well, but for some reason our last batch ended up being mostly flying foxes, despite ordering siamensis. So weird. We've had full sized ones come in/be surrendered too, so they are out there still.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The ones I've always gotten and effective at bba . Not
Flying fox . It's what they are labelled as and they are always the same .

True Crossocheilus Siamensis are no longer available in the hobby and are probably extinct. You probably have one of these species which also have a trade name SAE and looks exactly similar to each other if you don't meausure the length of snout, predorsal scale count, lateral scales count etc.
-Crossocheilus langei
-Crissocheilus atrilimis
-Crossocheilus oblungus
-Crossocheilus citripinnis
Most common are langei and atrilimis.

I'm not talking about the flying fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus) which is related to the redtail shark and redfinned shark. It's not even from a genus crossocheilus. Same thing with the false flying fox or cambodian log sucker which is a garra (Garra cambodgiensis). Also not a crossocheilus.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
In the photo all fish have trades names of Siamese Algae Eater or SAE. However each are 4 different species from genus crossocheilus.
1. Crossocheilus langei. The closest to the crossocheilus siamensis as it does eat red algae. Also known as a longnose SAE due the the much longer snout compare to the other 4. Can be tell apart by lookkng at the anus area with a black marking. One of the more common SAE in the hobby.
2. Crissocheilus atrilimis. Can be tell apart by its transparent yellow colored fins. Also by far the thickiest in body shape compare to the other 4. This one may eat newly grown leaves but will also eat red algae. But prefer to eat moss and fresh grown leaves rather than red algae. This SAE is known as the lemon finned SAE. Another common SAE in the hobby.
3. Crossocheilus oblungus. This one have similarities to the crossocheilus langei without looking at the marking on the anus as Crossocheilus oblungus does not have it. It also have much shorter snout compare to crossocheilus langei. It does develop shades of transparent red on the fins and on top side of the snout. Running from the front of eyes all the way to tip of the snout. Will also eat red algae but this one is not so common in the hobby. Also known as the Red finned SAE but the red color does not really show much.
4. Crossocheilus citripinnis. Of all 4 species, this is by far the rarest. Also known as the blunt snout SAE. Can be tell apart by its round short snout.

Organism Fish Terrestrial plant Fin Marine biology
Iris Organism Fish Underwater Marine biology

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Well great info. In the end as long as they do the job they are intended for them all good.
The ones I receive usually look
Like the Teo middle ones light colour and more the shape of the third one

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great info. Isn't only the langei type will eat BBA?

In the photo all fish have trades names of Siamese Algae Eater or SAE. However each are 4 different species from genus crossocheilus.
1. Crossocheilus langei. The closest to the crossocheilus siamensis as it does eat red algae. Also known as a longnose SAE due the the much longer snout compare to the other 4. Can be tell apart by lookkng at the anus area with a black marking. One of the more common SAE in the hobby.
2. Crissocheilus atrilimis. Can be tell apart by its transparent yellow colored fins. Also by far the thickiest in body shape compare to the other 4. This one may eat newly grown leaves but will also eat red algae. But prefer to eat moss and fresh grown leaves rather than red algae. This SAE is known as the lemon finned SAE. Another common SAE in the hobby.
3. Crossocheilus oblungus. This one have similarities to the crossocheilus langei without looking at the marking on the anus as Crossocheilus oblungus does not have it. It also have much shorter snout compare to crossocheilus langei. It does develop shades of transparent red on the fins and on top side of the snout. Running from the front of eyes all the way to tip of the snout. Will also eat red algae but this one is not so common in the hobby. Also known as the Red finned SAE but the red color does not really show much.
4. Crossocheilus citripinnis. Of all 4 species, this is by far the rarest. Also known as the blunt snout SAE. Can be tell apart by its round short snout.

[iurl="http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=158857&d=1504347427"]
[/iurl]
[iurl="http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=158865&d=1504347449"]
[/iurl]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts