British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a small group, hoping to eventually have a male with a harem of females. will consider any over 1", if theyre that small i might get a bunch and sell some off when they get bigger.

Altolamprologus calvus (Kabemba) white
Altolamprologus calvus (Chaitika) white

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey I was just at King Eds and I saw some black, gold, and albino calvus/compriceps. Pretty expensive though at between 30-40 each for 1.5"-2" juvies.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey I was just at King Eds and I saw some black, gold, and albino calvus/compriceps. Pretty expensive though at between 30-40 each for 1.5"-2" juvies.
:O thats brutal. not dissing the store or anything , i know how it works etc, but wow. i got mine at .75-1.25 @ 6.75 for F-1 yellow calvus.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
i was just at king eds and they have a few different ones for 29.99

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll be ordering them from reserve stock cichlids based out of new york
f1's are cheap and they also have shellies and goby cichlids

·
Registered
37 Posts
For a fish store, thats not that high. You need to calculate in the cost of shipping, I would ballpark at least $80 for UPS overnight, possibly more. Even if you get 3 @ 1.25 = 3.75 +$80 = $83.75/3 = $27 per fish

I used UPS's shipping calculator for a 3 pound box 10"x10"x10" Actual size will vary, but this is the smallest I would ship it in. Honestly I would probably go bigger, but anyway. You want to have a descent size bag, with room for water, packing material, and heat packs. You can get away with less but you don't want to pay for a dead fish right? Even if they refund the fish, almost no shippers will ever refund the shipping cost.

If shipping costs weren't so high, your fish at the store would be a dime a dozen... okay maybe a bit more ;) Calvus are rareish fish, thus are usually shipped "not" in bulk, therefore are more expensive.

Not defending, nor discrediting the LFS's, you or any other posters. I'm just saying, and I say again my figures are just rough estimates

·
Registered
310 Posts
i'll be ordering them from reserve stock cichlids based out of new york
f1's are cheap and they also have shellies and goby cichlids
thats where i got mine from! good guy, good fish. though shipping worked up a bit higher then i was expecting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts