British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Caught me at a good time here is a quick 5 min response time haha
They don't exist in the hobby anymore really, they would be harder to get then some of the fanciest types of shrimp. Only low grade red or cross bred will give you close to what you are looking for. All cherry shrimp here are captive bred and no one breeds for brown.

Like your style tho, wild-type fish are the best! I prefer the fancy shrimps tho

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should've got them from Pat when I had the chance =[... I'm crossing my fingers that there will be some people on the forum that have some and want to let them go to a good home!

Caught me at a good time here is a quick 5 min response time haha
They don't exist in the hobby anymore really, they would be harder to get then some of the fanciest types of shrimp. Only low grade red or cross bred will give you close to what you are looking for. All cherry shrimp here are captive bred and no one breeds for brown.

Like your style tho, wild-type fish are the best! I prefer the fancy shrimps tho

·
Registered
373 Posts
About a year ago i had a colony that produced some really dark brown and almost black cherries but got rid of them with the larger tank when I moved.
If you are patient and start with some really low grade cherries from a variety of gene pools you could breed your way there in a year or two (by ignoring them). That what happened in my community tank. All my cherry culls were tossed in there and they bred like rabbits ;) eventually forming a community of odd/uniquely coloured cherries that I really didn't appreciate as much as I should have at the time.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For a moment I got really excited haha. Thanks for your suggestion - that was my plan B. Hoping someone can help me get started quicker though!

About a year ago i had a colony that produced some really dark brown and almost black cherries but got rid of them with the larger tank when I moved.
If you are patient and start with some really low grade cherries from a variety of gene pools you could breed your way there in a year or two (by ignoring them). That what happened in my community tank. All my cherry culls were tossed in there and they bred like rabbits ;) eventually forming a community of odd/uniquely coloured cherries that I really didn't appreciate as much as I should have at the time.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Are you sure Pat doesn't have any?I always see them when Im there.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure Pat doesn't have any?I always see them when Im there.
He's actually on vacation right now so I can't confirm... but I did message him. It's unlisted on their website so I'm not sure if he still has them =/.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would wait till he gets back.I`m sure he still has some.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have some really low grade Cherries. They've devolved from reds, pumpkins, and dark blues. Every now and then a dark brown shows up. My guess is that it has red and blue genes.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll probably end up buying a little bit of every colour (trying to get a lighter brown) if Pat doesn't have any or no one else has any...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.