British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just wonder where i can buy the aqua soil (cheap price) for my shrimp tank?
If i dun use aqua soil, can i just use normal sand to keep my Cherry shrimp or crystal red shrimp (To breed them) ?
Thank you~

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Cherry shrimp are one thing. As I heard from another member, "they'll breed in poo" practically.

CRS are another story, you NEED to have a good 6.5-6.8 Ph and kh\gh buffer for them to be healthy and promote breeding.

ADA Aquasoil\Amazonia II is dark in colour so it makes your shrimp's colours' pop more deeply. I personally use florabase and amazonia II in my two tanks. I just assume use florabase and avoid the ammonia spike that you'll find with ADA, and it's far more readily available.

MyKiss (our sponsor Canadian Aquatics) will have more Amazonia ($50 a bag) in a few weeks, otherwise you can get Florabase @ our sponsor (who I believe ships it to your house free) www.BigAlsOnline.ca

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Cherry shrimp can be prolific in a high variety of conditions, I wouldn't waste money on on expensive substrate for cherry shrimp. I've heard of them breeding in a ice cream bucket.

Save the good soil for your crystal shrimp if they're in seperate tanks (they won't interbreed, so it doesn't matter, but I have mine separated as an elitist tank for when I do selective breeding down the road).

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If you want cheap soil, you will have to wait till someone on here sells some used soil.....(usually every few months)

In my experience if you are planning on keeping crs go with ADA because florabase is not as good for breeding crs. While some may have bred them in florabase if you are going for higher grades they may not do aswell with the substrate.

Also if you plan to keep crs make sure your parameters are in check, these shrimp are sensitive to fluctuations....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
But i can still breed well if i use the sand ?? The sand that i use is the Japanese Shinny black sand... since heard that soil will release acid which shrimps like it, but i am not so sure that sand will do that~~ i will post my tank pic up soon~~
So if i keep my crs then i have to change the soil every few months?
Cuz i am just planning to keep my Cherry shrimps

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
The sand will be inert in all probability. I don't see it doing anything to your PH levels or buffer.

If it's cherry shrimp, you can probably just use sand, but I use florabase or ADA for mine. I haven't tried gravel or sand, but have found success with the other two substrate options.

I've had my ADA for several months, it hasn't turned to mud yet, it'll last a year or so from my understanding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts