British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to keep this under control/ get rid of it. im pulling it out each day but it grows to fast! i have a buncha of amano shrimp and ottos in the tank but they dont seem to be doing much. i recently added two of my largest yellow shrimp to the tank but its a 6 foot 110 gallon tank so :p

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I think Rasputus once said Amano shrimp! But don't quote me on that! At least someone said so! =) but if it wuz Rasputus, then I would give it a go right away! but that's not working for you! LOL!

·
Registered
807 Posts
SAE's,American Flagfish, but I'm not sure I'd use them with shrimp.
I have noticed a little growing in 2 of my tanks but it doesn't really bother me.
I found it grow on my skull decoration of all places, looks like it's hair, kind of cool/freaky.
If it gets out of hand I'll deal with it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah my amano shrimp use to be really good at swimming all around and cleaning but now since i have added more they all seem to hide in the right corner of my tank under driftwood or in the heavily planted areas...

·
Registered
807 Posts
How long have the guy guys been in there?
Maybe they just need to settle in before they go about munching on the green stuff.

I got plants from a guy 1 time(not a member) & he had hair algae growing on a few twigs & it looked like a small tree,bonsai.
I thought it looked cool, so I didn't want to mention it.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Amano shrimp should take care of it if you have enough in there. Is it long green hair or short blackish hair? A pic would be great! How about your lighting? Oto cats consume mostly film type algae, doubt they will touch the hair. How many Amano do you have?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6 amanos maybe 7? the hair algae is longer strands generally but does just stick to some plants and covers the leaves.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i took a closer look and it almost appears as there is another type of algae aswell. its very short and fuzzy looking almost like a beard but its green.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The best way to make the amanos work is not feed them for few days, if you do however feed in a regular basis like you always do to your tank then they will just depend on fish/shrimp food and get lazy IME.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they usually dont come out when i feed i feed on the oppisite side of there hiding so i dont think they eat the stuff i feed. maybe i just need more?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Buy some Monopotassium Phosphate (KH2P04), I read this is good for algae control.

I've got some going into my tank weekly anyways, just started and I don't notice an increase, we'll see if it eases tank scraping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts