British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestion on where to buy live plants? I used to buy them at "Big Al's" but they dont have much there anymore and I find them a bit expensive. I'm in PoCo and there is not much around.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Places to find plants near poco:
-Aquaflora (a sponsor on this site, online purchases)
- mr.pets (I think they have a location in poco) carries some of their products.
-king ed's in burnaby/new west border
-roger's in surrey on scott rd and 77th...
-or check the plants classidied section for people selling extra trimmings from their tanks.

Good luck with the hunt :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
-if you plan to travel far to a store...best to call them to find out when their shipments come in and go the day after.

-otherwise I've found Fraser Aquarium to be well stocked but a bit pricey...however their items (from what I saw in my last visit) was healthy and good sized. It's quite a distance from you though.

-Best prices, but varied location is to ask here...just post what you're looking for, how much you're willing to pay for, and how big...almost all the members I've meet have been absolutely generous in portions, prices, and offering extra cuttings of varied plants....and the people have been very friendly and if they have the time will give you mini lessons on how to better your tank and up your skill/knowledge.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
keep in mind that aquaflora will give you roughly 4 times the plant mass as the tropica versions, they are the highest quality plants i've seen. They're also the cleanest. Anything else you risk getting snails and sometimes transient invasive species (some floating plants, riccia, various mosses)

But if you are just starting with plants, you may want to try getting your hands on a trimmings/plantlet package from a member here. Just browse the classifieds, you'll notice several of the same people keep posting or have very long threads they keep reopening every time they got more plants to sell. It'll get you started and you can just expand or replace plants once you get the hang of it.

Biggest tip i can give is to plant sparsely at first and let stems grow out, if you bunch the trimmings too close together, they'll choke eachother out of light and look crappy.

Also King Ed's could also set you up with some easy to grow plants that'll fit together nicely, just dont ask too many questions because often times its response is more confusion and more purchases being pushed on due to misunderstandings :p Their Planted tank maintnence guy is awesome though, he's never blown me off when i asked questions and always answered thoroughly (this was before i found fishie forums though)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I just went to Mr Pet in Coquitlam and the guy was real nice and seemed to know a lot of what he was talking about. I got one of those Aquaflora Aqua Paks Assorted Plants which is awesome since there is no algae and no snails!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts