British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Island Pets Unlimited offer a trade in policy for any "unwanted" fish that need a home.
This service is provided to help the hobbyist by providing an option of dealing with fish that have outgrown their aquarium or the hobbyist simply wants a "change". We also accept locally bred fish from any local breeder.

We offer an in store credit which can be used within a 6 month period. Generally we offer our clients anywhere from 0% to a third of the resale value. Keep in mind this range is gauged by the health of the fish, type of fish and quantity of the fish. Also keep in mind that we do not give a store credit for certain larger fish such as Pacu, Oscars, Red Tail Cats etc. These fish are very hard to relocate due to their size and generally are not worth it financially to upkeep these fish. We will accept all fish but often the same reason a hobbyist wants to trade their fish in is the same reason other hobbyists are not interested in those fish.

Please note all trades must be physically seen to assess their value.
Thank you,
IPU

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
since the death of my stingray i've decided to change out my entire tank.
what i'm wondering is would you give a store credit for Pbass?
1 temensis 12+inches
2 monos 7+inch and 10+inch with the 7+ inch being wild caught.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yes, we can give credit for those but they must be assessed once we view the fish.
what would be the best time to bring them in?
also wondering how you assess a stressed out fish from being moved?
would it be easier to come see the fish before they are moved?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am currious I was told last week your tanks were full and you would not give credit for any big fish, but would take them in if I brought them. The fish I enquired about was a 6" green texas and a 6" midas/red devil. It seams that your credit policy is not hard but up to the whim of whoever is in charge of the fish room on that particular day. Maybe I am wrong but that is how it seams to me.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am curious I was told last week your tanks were full and you would not give credit for any big fish, but would take them in if I brought them. The fish I enquired about was a 6" green texas and a 6" midas/red devil. It seams that your credit policy is not hard but up to the whim of whoever is in charge of the fish room on that particular day. Maybe I am wrong but that is how it seams to me.
Acipenser,
Our trade in policy is to the discretion of the livestock manager working that particular day. Overall the structure is very consistent. Up to the whim of whoever is in charge is a bit strong. Again, we offer this option as a service, I am not sure how much I need to comment on this process. If you take a used car to a dealer and they don't want your car would you have a problem with that?
A 6" Red devil does not interest me in the slightest. I believe we still have two in the Burnaby location that I have to house, feed etc. Even if these fish were donation, they cost us money day one. There are so many happy clients with this policy that we strive to keep it going. We receive trades almost daily, It is unfortunate that these situations arise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there i have 1 firemouth cichlid and 1 ruby shark both males. They are starting to outgrow my tank and id love to get some store credit for them. They're both in ideal condition and are eating machines. plz let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Punisher,
Please take the fish in to your nearest location. They can assess your fish once they physically see them.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you don't like the trade in policy, take your fish somewhere else. At least they are willing to take fish not knowing if they are sick, infected ect.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
I really appreciate your trade in policy:) I have traded in a couple of fish with no problems and I have also bought some great fish that were trade-ins. For me, the main benefit of the traded in fish is that many are already adult size & I'm able to add them to my cichlid tank that has 6"-10" fish in it. I also find that your trade-in fish are generally very well priced.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I really appreciate your trade in policy:) I have traded in a couple of fish with no problems and I have also bought some great fish that were trade-ins. For me, the main benefit of the traded in fish is that many are already adult size & I'm able to add them to my cichlid tank that has 6"-10" fish in it. I also find that your trade-in fish are generally very well priced.
+1

I often find some great deals on trade-in fishes :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have an IPU store credit voucher issued by Chris. It has no expiry date on it.

Could I use it at either one of the stores, in the coming Boxing week? TIA

1 - 20 of 30 Posts