British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this out there, maybe it can help others. I did a big (50%) water change yesterday and immediately lost fish afterwards. I did not test the water out of the tap first. After updating my test kit for missing reagents I learned that the pH had crashed and ammonia was high. Next I tested the tap water and to my surprise it was ~5.5 pH and ~1.4 ppm ammonia! I'm in central Abbotsford, and can't be sure if it's widespread or just my building complex. If anyone has a good understanding of how condo water/plumbing systems work I'd like to get a better understanding.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What is the pH in your tank? I think part of the problem is the large water change -
1. When was the last time you changed the water? Was it the same % change?
2. If your tanks have low pH and you brought in tap water at a higher pH especially with ammonia, since at lower pH levels more ammonia is stored in ammonium form, and unavailable to the nitrifying bacteria, a sudden increase in pH and introduction of ammonia will likely spike the concentration of un-ionized ammonia.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just throwing this out there, maybe it can help others. I did a big (50%) water change yesterday and immediately lost fish afterwards. I did not test the water out of the tap first. After updating my test kit for missing reagents I learned that the pH had crashed and ammonia was high. Next I tested the tap water and to my surprise it was ~5.5 pH and ~1.4 ppm ammonia! I'm in central Abbotsford, and can't be sure if it's widespread or just my building complex. If anyone has a good understanding of how condo water/plumbing systems work I'd like to get a better understanding.
I live by abby senior school and have a 135 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. Due work schedule i do a 50% water change every second weekend with no issues just have to add a bunch of declorination.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live by abby senior school and have a 135 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. Due work schedule i do a 50% water change every second weekend with no issues just have to add a bunch of declorination.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
I'd be curious to know what your tap water conditions are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts