British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, has anyone ever come across local wild crayfish? I read about signal crays being on the island and in the valley but couldn't find any specific location

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
white pine beach i cant remember the lake . i go in the summer and go snorkeling you find them and big ones to

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
coquitlam river runs through downtown Poco.
i have caught them there myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do you find them in the river do you just turn over rocks? I looked at pictures of white pine beach and I think I would have to use a trap to catch them with the kids this time of year

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
sasimat lake :)

And any slow moving stream in a forest that dosnt dry up every year is bound to have a couple,

Alex
i thought that was it but was not gonna say anything. i fish so many lakes and been to so many that i did not want to say anything LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to fish alot in maple ridge, mission and harrison and I have never seen any crayfish. mind you I never actually looked for them

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
I have seen them in the stream that comes out of Burnaby lake. I ride the bike trail(between Gaglardi and North Rd.) that goes along side that stream looking for driftwood once in a while & have seen them in there.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ditto on the Coquitlam river but bring a net because they are crazy fast

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I was a kid we used to fish them out of a small arm of the salmon river that runs through Forest Knoles in Langley/Fort Langley. We just tied meat to fishing line and then when the cray grabbed it we whipped them out of the water, crude but effective, good kicks too...well not for the crayfish I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks alot for all the replies guys. I didn't think they were so common, we will go out hunting this weekend

·
Registered
327 Posts
when we were kids we used to catch 'em in the creek @ Princess Park on the North Shore all the time. Also SW crays in the mud in Deep Bay on the island.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts