British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be possible to make it mandatory for a person to have their location posted on their posts. It seems like lots of newer members don't have it and most of the replies to the posts for selling items are asking for location.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
would it be possible to make it mandatory for a person to have their location posted on their posts. It seems like lots of newer members don't have it and most of the replies to the posts for selling items are asking for location.
I'm not sure why new members have not got their location shown, another unknown change I suppose, Maybe Anthony knows and will chime in when he sees this. I just sent the question to Yungster the forum administrator and brought it to his attention

·
Administrator
315 Posts
Unfortunately, we can't. Speaking from a technical side, I don't have a method to do so. We changed the registration system awhile ago, to make it more stable and easier, but the trade off was that we couldn't have mandatory fields anymore.

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Unfortunately, we can't. Speaking from a technical side, I don't have a method to do so. We changed the registration system awhile ago, to make it more stable and easier, but the trade off was that we couldn't have mandatory fields anymore.

Kevin
I asked the question of administration and this was their answer, I don't agree with it but it is what it is

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,262 Posts
ive been saying this on posts for years. makes things a lot easier especially for anyone outside the Vancouver area

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm at the point where I don't even bother contacting the poster unless they have a location, most of them seem to be newbies with only a few posts and don't have the courtesy to reply to your questions. Maybe make it so you can't post a FS or LF item until you reach a minimum number of posts on the site. Hopefully by then they might realize that location is important on your posts.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'm at the point where I don't even bother contacting the poster unless they have a location, most of them seem to be newbies with only a few posts and don't have the courtesy to reply to your questions. Maybe make it so you can't post a FS or LF item until you reach a minimum number of posts on the site. Hopefully by then they might realize that location is important on your posts.
Considering the low number of participants in the forum, it would be a bad idea to discourage people from posting. If they can't fix it, it's probably just a problem we have to live with.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Considering the low number of participants in the forum, it would be a bad idea to discourage people from posting. If they can't fix it, it's probably just a problem we have to live with.
Our site has dwindled in the membership area over the last few years, that's for sure.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, myself also. If there is no location, I don't bother contacting. We are not asking for your address, just Delta, Kelowna, Chilliwack, etc. 'Canada' seems a bit vague.....

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,262 Posts
i wish we could revive this site. facebook sucks

Reactions: The Guy

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
i wish we could revive this site. facebook sucks
I agree, Anthony and myself have tried to approach the owners regarding prize money for contests that we as moderators would host to keep some interest going in the site. We can't seem to get a commitment on their part to try and pump the enthusiasm with the membership. I'm fearful without ownership stepping up to the plate we are doomed to become a buy & sell site only. This site has many parts to it beside buying and selling stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts