British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have owned many fish tanks over the years but have never done the live plant part of it. I just picked up a 33gal and would like to give it a real natural look. I've heard mixed opinions on how hard it is to keep the plants alive. Any and all advice on what plants would be easy to start off with would greatly be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Also I noticed in the rules you have to list your location on the ads. I live in Surrey but can't see where to update that.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
U should try some low light plants such as anubias, moss, amazon sword, fern... those are super easy plants to grow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice! I bought the sand tonight. I'm going to look for the plants on here. There are so many crazy good deals on here

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
That's a nice place to have your tank, and a nice picture hanging above it too!
I agree with Philip: Java Ferns, Anubias, Cryptocorynes - these are medium sized. Amazon Swords are bigger. Mosses usually tied to rocks or wood make a nice feature.
Saggitaria Subulata or Echinodorus Tenellus make nice little grass croppings when planted in bunches.
Don't forget to think about adding some wood or rocks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Are those doggie or kitty bowls in the background of your photo? If you have furry critters - especially cats - you may wish to cover the tank with glass and/or hood. Dogs, not so much an issue for jumping up and going fishing. :0)

·
Registered
393 Posts
You ever come out east, I got some good low light plants. Tons of dwarf saggitaria which can pretty much grow in the dark and shoots off runners easily. There's alot of options for plants that will do well for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I'm going to search for a few different options of the ones you all provided. And maybe some drift wood that it can hopefully grow on. It's a cat bowl and she's already jealous of the tank haha I am looking to cut a glass top for it. I picked up a couple neons and African dwarf frogs to start. I'll post another pic once I get some greens in. I out black sand in and it looks pretty cool already

·
Registered
433 Posts
Judging from your photo, I think your aquarium is in a great location, so long as no direct sunlight enters. If the daylight/indirect sunlight is constant, it should be a problem for your aquarium in terms of algae issues. The more live plants, the less algae is an issue.

It is not hard to keep live plants depending on the species. Since I do not browse the forums regularly, I think Philip gave you the best general guidelines in terms of what types of plants to get (mosses, ferns, etc.) Starting with these easy plants also mean that it's not necessary for you to go all out with a CO2 injection system either. They are expensive, and unless you are very good at DIY, it's really an eye-sore and a hassle. To start, a simple LED panel or T5 canopy will be sufficient. Be careful of not providing too much light, and always use a time for consistency. Do regular water changes and fertilize once per week. If you follow the general rules, your plants will not only flourish, they may take over. Keeping live plants can only benefit the fish you keep in the same aquarium, in most cases.

In keeping with the fact that this is a classifieds section of the forum, I do have java ferns, and mosses that I am willing to sell/give to you to try. You can always send me a private msg, or text me if you're interested, or have other questions - 604-781-2709.

Your friendly neighbourhood aquarist,

Drew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts