British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
gravel and pH shouldn't be the cause of the corydoras issue. Your tank water looks cloudy. There may be a bacterial bloom going on. What filter do you have running? do you have any bio media in there?

A lot of the fish from LFS are farm raise and can tolerate a wider range of water condition than wild caught. There are pros and con between wild caught and farm raised fish. farmed fish in the older days had a lot of medication used on them hence they can be immuno compromise and or weaken from long term inbreeding - not sure if the practice is different now. wild caught is harder to transition into aquarium - water parameter, food they eat, transit stress, and can carry parasites from the wild. There are others, but those are the main ones.

The corydoras you have are farm raise.

Your tank is lacking nitrate and other elements, hence your hornwort is shedding.

What kind of pleco do you have? Most pleco do not like algae wafer. They are omnivore. 1 wafer is a lot of food for a small pleco.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You should get a different fertilizer with nitrate in there. your plants are dying and contributing to the bacterial bloom. I am not sure what brand of fertilizer you have access to at the LFS. API is not a good fertilizer. you want something with N-P-K and a fairly high N number relative to the P and K - a lot of brand will have high K but not much N. find something with high N and high K at minimum i.e. 2hr APT3 is good one. Your tank doesn't have enough fish to provide the necessary N for plant growth.

Do you see the clown pleco try to eat the wafer? Pleco will eat if they like the food they are given. Clown pleco do require some meat in their diet. What brand of algae wafer are you giving it?

I wonder if the cory is overeating the wafer because what you described with the fish is an swim bladder issue. wafer expand quite a bit in the water.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Actually, by chance I was wondering if the filtration was not good enough and cheap. Maybe you’re right, I’ll take a look at the “Aqua clear” system. Any other brands you suggest? I’ll probably have to buy a better brand one than Top Fin but one that has a flow adjustment so I can turn it down for the less water movement so it doesn’t stress the Betta too much.
There are multiple things going on. A better filter will help with some of the fluctuation in water quality but doesn't solve issues arise from a sudden change in the system. Any filter need time to established and build up.

You said that the tank went cloudy after you started dosing API fertilizer. If I am not mistaken, API fertilizer contain potassium and iron only. Hornwort is free floating plant and wouldn't benefit from root tab - which is partly why the hornwort is shedding. dead plant matter will increase the bacterial load trying to counter a spike in the ammonia. was the hornwort doing fine before the API fertilizer,

Did anything else change before the cloudy water or after? i.e. add extra fish? change in the amount of food? change a filter cartridge?

non eaten food will do the same, but I am not sure if all the food are getting eaten. 1 hikari algae wafer is a lot of food for a pleco. A pleco shouldn't have problem pushing cories away for food if they like the food provided.

As Dino said, cartridge filter are not the best. Each time you replace the cartridge, there will be a drop off in the bacteria and another bloom will happen.

You want a filter able to hold bio media (biological filtration) - a place for bacterial to grow to help with the nitrogen cycle.

·
Registered
705 Posts
So far, the things I should do is replace the filtration system, break and give less of the algae wafers, and find something better than the API Leaf Zone?
Yes.
remove the purigen and see how the plant do before getting a different fertilizer - but I suspect removing purigen wouldn't be enough for plants. I have to dose nitrate in the tank even when the tank is overfed growing out fry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts