British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just purchased a new tank , i purchased 2 rena x3 filter from king eds pets , been 3 days of battling these things to stop leaking from the hole the cord housing , ive troubleshooted everything over an over just to find new water every day , long story short im returning these filters this weekend and will be purchasing 2 new cannister filters for my 165gall they are complete headache , i have a fluvall 405 running my 72 gall and havnt had any issues in 2 years , the guy at the store originalyy talked me out of an fx5 said it sounded like a jet engine in my living room amd woudnt fit under my cabinet , so now im back to square on looing for some advice on 2 cannister filters to keep my tank crystal clear , will also be running an ozone filter .
m going to b running cichlids inthis tank .

·
Registered
646 Posts
The FX5 is great! been running one on my 120 for over 3 years now. The XP3 are great too for the price, sorry to hear you were sold some duds.

Eheim is probably the ONE best brand of filter out there; I've used one for over 4 years now, but their pricey and their parts can be too. Not only that but parts can be hard to come by if you ever need them.

Go with an Ehiem if you can afford too, otherwise the Xp 3s are just fine... As long as your not sold duds..

If you do decide on the Xp3s get them from J&L aquatics. Their the cheapest Ive ever seen and they sell good products with good service.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys , so I ended up keeping one of the x3 I seemed to get one fixed , exchanged the x3 and payed some cash got an fx5 I'm stoked to run them both together I think it will look great , got suckered into buying a marineland 48inch LED for my tank which I've been informed is a 150 gall. 5x2x2 dimensions . Anyone tried these things ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your xP3 is leaking around the powercord it is the main seal leaking slightly. Mine was slightly twisted from the factory and I had a heck of a time figuring it out. Take it out and let it rest for a few hours or put it in hot water for a few minutes and then replace it making sure it goes in flat with the rounded sides up and down and the concave sides to the sides, if that makes sense.
Kim

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you have a Fluval that has worked great for two years, which is no surprise to me. why not go with it. easy to get parts and IMO a great filter. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The fx5 is the way to go on a larger tank like yours. Once all the purging of water is done you will probably not even notice it running. I have never used eheim but it sounds like they have a few issues. IMO it is not worth the hassle. What type of cichlids are you housing in this big tank? My guess is Africans.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I would have gone with the eheim 2262 over the fx5's . The eheim 2262 come with a back flush feature and the motor is at the top of the filter unlike the fx5 . Maintenance is a lot easier on the 2262. I have one for 2 years and have not had any problems with it. You can't go wrong with any of the classic eheim filters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts