British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is highly not recomended to change the ph of a tank and its more important to stablelize the ph, but all the fish I want and also have perfer lower ph and it helps enhance the colours if it is closer to there natural peremiters. I want to try to stabelize a lower ph is my 2 big tanks (150gal with tetras, angels,bsp, corys and 120gal with arawana, lung fish,cp) eventually is the 150 gal tank i would like to get discus and I know they can be climetized to higher ph but for the sake of all the fish and as a project I would like to get the ph slowly from 7.8 to 6 ish using natural means so I dont get spikes (also in the 120 gal tank I want to eventually switch to a bigger tank and get some rays).

Ive heard of some differant ways to lower the ph and have already used wood in the 150 gal tank

Ive also heard of
-peat in the filter-turns water slightly yellow but to me no big deal as long as it disapates with time
-us RO water- but read that you have to mix it with reg water? can you buy RO water? and what ratio to mix?

Ive also heard that there are chemical ways to do it but its a temp fix

any insight on this matter

·
Registered
119 Posts
Actually I'm planning on lower the PH in my shrimp tank too, I can give you my insides but I haven't actually put them into practice yet.
For the Peat method I'm thinking of putting the peat in a bucket of water and using it to lower the PH into how low you want, and then use the water for water changes. This way after a few weeks the water in the tank will drop. I didn't want to put the peat into the filter because the PH change might be too sudden and every time you do water changes it fluctuates.
The RO water is also good too but I'm too poor to install a RO system in my house. You can also buy RO water for like 50 cent per gallon or something but I'm a bit reluctant to try since I don't know what kind of chemical treatment the bottles have gone through.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Peat and Indian Almond Leaves are the two most natural that come to mind... of course they will tint your water (and you can't remove the tinting without lessening the effect of the leaf / peat). A lot of people take it for what it is, though, as tinted water is a pretty accurate representation of the habitat that many low-pH-loving fish like, ie water tainted with leaf litter. The fish are also said to prefer 'darker' water.

You can also buy specialized plant substrates like Eco-Complete, Florabase and Aquasoil which claim to lower pH (can't tell you how much by).

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have forabase in the 150 gal tank. The peat In a bucket sound like a good idea. I've just been having probelms finding peat. I know fluval sells it but I haven't seen it anywhere yet. Might Check petcetara. Only place I haven't looked

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worth a try tho. I think Ive seen that on petsand pond.com. But I'll have to double check. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
549 Posts
as for peat you'll need to go to a garden center to find it. Get 100 % peat that isn't treated with anything... no fertz added etc.... You can alter the ph of your tank with the peat in the filter. It is not a fast process. You can then add carbon to pull some of the tint out of the water. It will not alter the ph doing so.... 150 gallons is alot of water to alter though and the amount of peat you would have to add.... This is not going to be your best option. a chemical adjustment might be your best and cheapest bet. If it was less water I'd say use peat and indian almond leaves.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No prob. I was thinking of using it myself but I'll give Fluval a try first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts