British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering the diffrence between african lung fish and south american lung fish any help would be great

and any info on where to get a austrailan lung fish thank you

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
An african lungfish looks like the one you bought from me. A south american lungfish has more spots and is usually darker in colour. As for an aussie lungfish you will not find one at your local pet shop, they need to be ordered in. Lo sai can get you one, we were going to do an order and it was so close but we needed one other person. He might do another order if there are enough people.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
An african lungfish looks like the one you bought from me. A south american lungfish has more spots and is usually darker in colour. As for an aussie lungfish you will not find one at your local pet shop, they need to be ordered in. Lo sai can get you one, we were going to do an order and it was so close but we needed one other person. He might do another order if there are enough people.
Have to disagree on some. Lol! Sorry snow.

South American lungfish have yellow or white spots when young and have black color and the spots gradually disapear as it grow and the base color turns to gray. Also fins are more shorter than african species.

African lungfish will depend on which species/subspecies.

West african lungfish can varied in base color and patterns. From lots of spots to spotless. Base color can range to pale gray, brown, dark gray, tan or any of this mixes.

Slender african lungfish can look very similar to south american lungfish but the spots will sometimes remain or disappear except the spots are dark instead of yellow or white on SAL. Also the fins are much longer.

Marble african lungfish can varied on patterns and base color as well depend on location being caught. Compare to the West african lungfish, marble african lungfish have marble patterns as the name already called it. They also grow much bigger than any other lungfush species.

Gilled african lungfish, again can varied in base color and patterns. Bosy shape have very similar to aussie lungfish but with thinner and shorter fins and the scales are much smaller than ausie lungfish. The external gill remains the rest of it's life unless damage but will grow back.Smallest of the lunfish species but the most aggresive.

The one you got from snow is a west african lungfish (Protopterus anectens anectens). Most common lungfish around.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do they differ on the agression level and what are they best foods for them i have 4 sa lung fish as well growning them out

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
do they differ on the agression level and what are they best foods for them i have 4 sa lung fish as well growning them out
As for aggression, it's unpredictable but most recommend to put african lungfish as species tank only. Whatever you think is healthy for them and accept the foods are the best food for them. There is not really a particular one as long as it's healthy for the fish and eats them.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ya my guy was always alone. I would not put him with anything else. I tried once with a pleco and it didn't work out well, went straight through the plecos outside. They do differ in aggression though, for example king-el has an odd blue west african lungfish(not sure if he still has it though) but it was kept with fish while mine was not. I would just let him be. Once he gets used to you, you will be able to pet the top of his head.:)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ya my guy was always alone. I would not put him with anything else. I tried once with a pleco and it didn't work out well, went straight through the plecos outside. They do differ in aggression though, for example king-el has an odd blue west african lungfish(not sure if he still has it though) but it was kept with fish while mine was not. I would just let him be. Once he gets used to you, you will be able to pet the top of his head.:)
Yes I still have it in a comm tank but I'm an exception as it's JDM style. Can't try it with just a few stocks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lenny is on my 210 monster tank with clownknife pike cichlid smaller oscar jacuar cichlid 2 jd and two silver arowana he is doing great lenny loves his shrimp he has no agression yet he is the only bottom fish so he is happy plus the tank has 3m purple sand he loves it

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
lenny is on my 210 monster tank with clownknife pike cichlid smaller oscar jacuar cichlid 2 jd and two silver arowana he is doing great lenny loves his shrimp he has no agression yet he is the only bottom fish so he is happy plus the tank has 3m purple sand he loves it
Only time will tell as of right now it's a ticking time bomb. Good luck if it successfully behave well in the long run.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I keep African anectens and find it to be very aggressive.

My Australian is very timid but still small (34"). It is in a 360g at present with a shoal of 12 tinfoil barbs (5-8"), a 9" common pleco, a shoal of yellow fathead minnows and about 100 guppies.

To date it has not injured any of the fish except eating a few of the minnows and guppies.

I had a South American lungfish and he was also very timid and I kept him in a 180g with a shoal of discus and never had a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts