British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Will be held at Bonsor Community Center in Burnaby. Hope to see everyone there. Doors should be opened around 7ish.

Anthony
Ya sure hoping for a good turn out, the club needs some people to help keep it going. I'm moving otherwise I would stay involved. :) If nobody steps up to help it could be the end of the VAHS auctions.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Will be held at Bonsor Community Center in Burnaby. Hope to see everyone there. Doors should be opened around 7ish.

Anthony
REminder! :lol: come out for this important meeting at Bonsor hall March 14th the future of this club will be discussed , it's important for the hobby to continue having the VAHS around.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The VAHS is a local "club" for all types of aquarists to meet together, ask questions, discuss successes or failures, and even buy some nice plants, fish, equipment at the meetings. We have members with literally 4 decades or more of fish-keeping experience who enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience with others. We have people keeping African & S.A. cichlids, planted community, brackish, sw fish-only, reefers, breeders, etc.

The biggest events are the Spring & Fall Auction held in North Van at ST. Pius X church, with several hundred items sold between 10 and 3-4pm, with a lunch break in between. Doors open around 9am to allow people to register (those who haven't preregistered) and to look at all the goodies they might want to bid on.

The meetings used to be monthly with a break in the summer but are now held every couple of months. The meetings are usually held at Bonsor Community Centre at start at 7:30pm but doors open at 7. Sometimes I host the meetings at my place.

There is now an annual VAHS bbq, which I host in my backyard in South Burnaby and it's usually in August, but that may change. Members eat and drink for free (annual membership is $20) but non-members are welcome to join and eat for a nominal fee.

Hope that answers your questions.

Anthony

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
The VAHS is a local "club" for all types of aquarists to meet together, ask questions, discuss successes or failures, and even buy some nice plants, fish, equipment at the meetings. We have members with literally 4 decades or more of fish-keeping experience who enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience with others. We have people keeping African & S.A. cichlids, planted community, brackish, sw fish-only, reefers, breeders, etc.

The biggest events are the Spring & Fall Auction held in North Van at ST. Pius X church, with several hundred items sold between 10 and 3-4pm, with a lunch break in between. Doors open around 9am to allow people to register (those who haven't preregistered) and to look at all the goodies they might want to bid on.

The meetings used to be monthly with a break in the summer but are now held every couple of months. The meetings are usually held at Bonsor Community Centre at start at 7:30pm but doors open at 7. Sometimes I host the meetings at my place.

There is now an annual VAHS bbq, which I host in my backyard in South Burnaby and it's usually in August, but that may change. Members eat and drink for free (annual membership is $20) but non-members are welcome to join and eat for a nominal fee.

Hope that answers your questions.

Anthony
Well said Anthony, I think you hit all the highlights of the club, now all we need is some folks to join in and help out to keep the club going strong for years to come. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Forgive me for intruding:)I just wanted to validate what "The Guy" is alluding to.
Most if not all the Aquarium clubs have suffered from lack of involvement with the advent of the world wide internet media, unfortunately not only is clubs shrinking but so is the archive of volumes of real life experiences that are available through these clubs.
Let`s face it, we can Facebook, forum search all we want, but nothing beats meeting a experienced passionate hobbyist in person and getting instant exchange knowledge up close and personal, when it`s gets to the point of clubs folding, this hobby will suffer, no Facebook, forum tweeter can replace a club.
Get involved with your local club,if you are passionate about your hobby.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Thanks Charlie1

A perfect example is the one on one help I got by speaking directly to Charlie1 regarding building a co2 regulator, I was floundering around reading stuff on the "internet" but never really feeling like I was helped. Even talking to LFS's was somewhat helpful to figure out some things, but nothing like "talking" to an impartial person that's very knowledgeable about co2 equipment and very willing to share it. Thanks again Errol. This is where belonging to a club with real living people that you can talk to is very gratifying, I rest my case. Come out and join your VAHS and share the wealth of information that's available from other members. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Hard to believe out of 248 views there's only 5 responses with any interest in joining in and helping to keep this iconic aquarium club going. :(

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hard to believe out of 248 views there's only 5 responses with any interest in joining in and helping to keep this iconic aquarium club going. :(
When we were running the membership booth I was alarmed at how many people wanted to know "what they got if they joined". I think it's been explained fantastically on what you "get". BCA is like a big family with a common interest/passion.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,270 Posts
I've already emailed Dave and will volunteer/assist in the kitchen :)!

Respectfully,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
When we were running the membership booth I was alarmed at how many people wanted to know "what they got if they joined". I think it's been explained fantastically on what you "get". BCA is like a big family with a common interest/passion.

Hi Janice

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Ya what you "get" is companionship with other members to actually talk to them face to face at regular meetings to share and get information and help others in our hobby. I hear all the time that it's nice to put a face to the name at our auctions. You don't get that contact on social media or even on forums at all. It's scary to think people are leaning more to texting etc. rather than good old fashion talking. " times they are a changing" but not for the better in my opinion.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am just sad that it is a boat ride away. I would kill...perhaps not literally, to have access to so many engaged people to learn from!

How about just moving it to the island, might be highly inconvenient for everyone over there but it sure would work for me :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Anyway I will be there.

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mark, if you want to come to the auction, why don't you walk onto the ferry with a wheeled cooler if you have one and I'll pick you up. You can head over Friday and we can go to the auction together on Saturday and I can drop you back at the ferry with all your goodies after the auction. We can pop into King Eds, J&L, April's and other LFS while we're at it. That way it's only two passenger fares instead of car & driver x 2.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts