British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's a pre tank journal right now but that's OK. We are all going to be in this process together, at least that's my hope, because I'm going to need some help along the way. Just got my refractometer in the mail today and it got me kind of excited about the whole thing! Feel free to drop some helpful advice you might have before I go and make the mistakes so many have made before me and save me the embarrassment :)

.....people did always tell me I'm salty, but I don't think this is what they meant.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
So it's a pre tank journal right now but that's OK. We are all going to be in this process together, at least that's my hope, because I'm going to need some help along the way. Just got my refractometer in the mail today and it got me kind of excited about the whole thing! Feel free to drop some helpful advice you might have before I go and make the mistakes so many have made before me and save me the embarrassment :)

.....people did always tell me I'm salty, but I don't think this is what they meant.
I had a RSM 250 and they are a beautiful tank indeed, I'll talk to you more about it tomorrow and share my tips with you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the tank this weekend and successfully delivered to my house in one piece...phew!! Just in the process of getting her all cleaned up and filled, I'll post pictures after. No one wants to see my pain :)

Really excited and a big shout out to Anthony for all his help and for making it all happen.

P.S. I know we all love pictures, and I'll have lots, just right now this tank makes even me look sexy. Good thing elbow grease is in strong supply at my house!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TANK CLEANING DAY

So lads and lassies today is the day. Getting everything all scrubbed and set up. Pictures to follow this evening!
so excited

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I got this beauty all cleaned up and ready to rock then I sit down on my couch and start to get the jitters....

Now I'm sitting here arguing with myself about the pros and cons of saltwater trying to convince myself to go through with it all. Pro - I have literally everything a guy could want to head down this road. Con - I'm scared!!

Still not too sure what to do about it all.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Just start with the easy stuff. Sand, simple rock formation, a couple corals, a cleaner shrimp, a couple easy fish :)

Reactions: Mark Brown

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Mark, buddy, you've gone too far to stop now. Once you have it set up, add & aquascape the dry rock and let it sit for a month or more to cycle. This will give you time to plan what you want to keep in it. I would recommend some easy soft corals (colt, green finer leathers, colourful mushrooms and green star polyps to start) and maybe a couple of clownfish. That should keep the wife & kids happy. Low bioload, low maintenance, easiest way to get started in reefing.

Anthony

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You are so right! It is just that moment of weakness between cleaning one tank, moving another, realize you have to rescape your planted tank because it can't look like it does where it lives now AND THE KIDS WON'T STOP CRYING lol!

I do want it so bad and the little push is all this sexy gear I got last weekend...wink wink :) BTW not a single scratch on this tanks glass anywhere. It is an absolute gem.

The methyl hydrate was for the OUTSIDE of the glass. Don't worry :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lesson number one.
You can never have too much live rock. That being said I am very happy with how phase one has turned out. On to phase two, murky water happy times.
I'll post all the pics I have from cleaning this puppy tomorrow morning when I can transfer them from my phone to pc.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i got this baby all filled up last night. Salted and warming as we speak. Now to start the cycle. Lucky for me, the die-off from the rock has given me a small ammonia spike to get off to the races but i will have to supplement in the coming days to boost the levels. Skimmer seems to be doing something, i am not too sure it is the something it is supposed to do, but some wet white foam is perking up, we will just have to keep tweaking it and get it right. I am not overly familiar with their operation however the knowledge is there, I just need it in my head. Starting PH with the crushed coral and Aragonite is 8.0 - 8.2 and that seems like a good place to be. Currently i have the SG at 1.018 and i am slowly working it up to 1.025 but being new i am unfamiliar with how much salt this will take so i am just taking it good and slow. Going to get the Tunze ATO installed today and work on plumbing my spare RO unit into the tank stand and look at adding a DI cartridge to it. Figure if i got one laying around i best use it :)

Cannot believe i was ready to quit this before I even got started yesterday. I am super glad i didn't because even just this big box of salty water and rocks is beautiful. It all just got a little overwhelming in the middle of cleaning and moving everything. Small momentary lapse in judgement, i mean come on now we have all had those. At least anyone that is married, that split second in which you let your guard down and said i do :lol:

Here are the rest of the pictures from cleaning the thing and getting the skimmer installed. Nothing too fancy but those will come

Water Floor Flooring Gas Glass
sump chambers before the final clean

Automotive lighting Fluid Automotive exterior Kitchen appliance Gas
Time for the final clean

Office equipment Electronic instrument Audio equipment Gas Technology
Sexy skimmer in the box

Water Vertebrate Light Blue Underwater
Uh.... where does all this go

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Hi Mark I see you have the Deltec MC500 skimmer that's good, the stock one that comes with the RSM don't work that well, FYI those deltec skimmers are $500 and change.
Getting it with your setup is a super bonus. Looks good so far buddy. Remember slow and easy and just breathhhhhhh. :lol:
Cheers Laurie

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,377 Posts
I can tell you are excited but all I can say is go slow and take a deep breath sometimes. your skimmer will need a while to break in say a week or so and please refrain from adding anything for a while and be picky when adding fish because once you have a issue its a lot harder to fix than fresh water systems.

Reactions: Mark Brown

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Mark I see you have the Deltec MC500 skimmer that's good, the stock one that comes with the RSM don't work that well, FYI those deltec skimmers are $500 and change.
Getting it with your setup is a super bonus. Looks good so far buddy. Remember slow and easy and just breathhhhhhh.
Cheers Laurie
Believe me when I say I know how much of a gem of a deal I landed over there!! I still feel kinda like a thief in the night.

As for going slow, if I planned on going any slower on this one I would be moving backwards. I am generally an ass first and my head will follow kinda guy but for this particular project I have learned from past freshwater failures that patience is vital. It has taken me a good long while to commit to a marine tank and getting it right now is what excites me the most!

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
It'll take a while for the rock and hydroton to become seeded anyways. If its ready for livestock by the time we plan our whale watching trip, I can bring over some goodies.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let the cycle begin!

Ammonia 1.0 ppm
Nitrite 0.25 ppm
Nitrate 0.0 ppm

Salinity measures 1.025, Temp 80, pH 8.2

1 - 20 of 162 Posts