British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a way to save these precious little eggs? I just noticed since I planted my tank and started a rain simulator that ALL of my tetras and dwarf neon rainbows are scattering eggs everywhere! the Buenos Aires tetra alone drops 100-200 eggs per go, and they're still at it!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried, doesnt really work. They're mainly scattering somewhere around the back and by the time they drift to the front they're scattered and I cant exactly race against 50 different smaller fishes swarming on the eggs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
1) Get some yarn
2) Keep the yarn at the bottom of the tank
3) Wait for tetras to lay eggs on the yarn
4) Pull the yarn out of the tank when fish are done spawning

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you really want the eggs to hatch, have most of them survive, and go to the trouble of raising the young, you need to do a little extra work and follow a plan.
First you need another cycled tank in which to re-home all your fish after the spawning has taken place.

First place a complete layer of marbles across the bottom of your tank, over the existing substrate.
The eggs will fall to the bottom between the marbles where the tank fish can't get at them.
Then remove all the fish, allow the eggs to hatch, and grow out the fry in that tank.
Once the fry become free-swimming, you can remove the marbles.
A little trouble, but should save most of the spawning, if that's really what you want to do.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've done it successfully that way several times, many years ago, with tetras, barbs, & danios/zebras.
However, I prepared the breeding tanks ahead of time - barebottom, with the layer of marbles placed across the bare-bottom of the tank. At times, some moss placed over top of the marbles.
Then the breeding fish went in, were well-fed with live food, suitable pH of water, right temp, low light conditions, etc.
Removed the spawners after the spawn, and raised the young in the marbled tank.
Had about 15 tanks at the time, and raised fry for sale to LFS's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts