British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
$211 :( :( later and Diesel finally gets his Lion-Cut. He threw another biting fit at the groomers so he went next door to the vets to be sedated and groomed.

Not too happy about the price at all but I love my little lion :)

Before

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
usually twice a year. again in late july/early august. probably only once a year now that it's going to be $200 instead of $70 :( theres a place in coquitlam where the owner lets me sit at the grooming table and hold him while she grooms so I'll try that next time.

He used to have no problems getting groomed but I guess he's gotten smart now.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
There's a place in Richmond called Christines I think, that's where i use to take my cats! They don't sedate them cuz they don't really agree since it's medication that you're pumping in to ur furry friend, and they do allow you to help hold em down! I think they were around $60-$70 as well, they're one of the most well known cat groomers in richmond

·
Registered
496 Posts
There's a place in Richmond called Christines I think, that's where i use to take my cats! They don't sedate them cuz they don't really agree since it's medication that you're pumping in to ur furry friend, and they do allow you to help hold em down! I think they were around $60-$70 as well, they're one of the most well known cat groomers in richmond
The thought of sedating an animal for grooming seems REALLY iffy to me. For one thing I know that the anaesthesia procedure dogs & cats undergo for dental cleanings becomes increasingly risky with age, so I would be pretty wary of sedating my pet for something as trivial as grooming.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its not that trivial when your cat needs to be groomed for medical purposes. i think they just gave him some pills to knock him out a bit then they gave him a pill to wake him up because it was late in the day. he wouldn't let them get near him with the shavers, biting, scratching and panting hard due to stress.

im very against giving any sort of mediction anless absoluty nessisary but I had no choice.. he has an insane amount of fur and did you see what he looked like before with his half groomed mullet cut? theres no way i could leave him like that. He won't be getting sedated again for grooming though.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
He will be happy he had the cut once the long, hot days of summer arrive. Plus, if he fluffs up his mane a bit, he will be king of the neighbourhood. Maybe even the coyotes will give him some respect.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's no need to "groom" the cat. He's quite comfy in his insane amount of fur. A good combing or brushing to keep him free of mats and he'd be a happy kitty.
I think its nesessary when a cat won't leave behind the couch or under the bed untill the sun goes down because its so hot . As soon as he gets shaved he becomes a totally different and normal cat and hes his most happy and affectionate. I think its also a relief for him to not have to tend to all that fur anymore. He spends so much time grooming it all I think he just gets sick of it. IMO just by judging how different he behaves it would be cruel of me to leave his fur on in the summer :)

Already he seems SOSOSO happy to have it gone :eek:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh I doubt that cat will let Kaisa anywhere near it with a brush at this point and grooming is probably the only solution to mats, tangles, overheating in summer, etc.
lol the only way I can brush him is if i let him clamp down on my wrist as hard as he can with his teeth, then i still have to fight with his claws. It's pretty impossible to groom him :(

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't see any reason other then if it is so matted that there is no other way. Cats have natural oils and the fur keeps them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. That is why they shed in the usmmer to get rid of the excuse fur or grow more in the winter. Shaving your cat is probably not a good way to get rid of its excess fur; your cat could get skin problems and skin infections and its gives ticks and fleas and easier way to the body. If you want to get rid of excess fur the best thing you could do is brush your cat with a wire brush if it is long hair, or a rubber or wire brush if it is short haired, and brush your cat everday; it will also give your cat love and attention. The only other reason is the mats are so bad the skin is starting to die. If you have a long haired cat and you don't brush it enough then maybe you shouldn't have a long haired cat. I have a ragdoll and if you touch her you are covered in white hair, but I just buy way more tape then usual now. Some cats fur takes so long to grow back. Ever think if you shave it it might never grow back? I know on humans sometimes if you shave a curtain area, it wont grow back. I know first hand on that one and it sucks. Wish it was a different part. LOL

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol wow thanks for making me sound like a cruel pet owner for doing something my cat loves to have??

If his "natural oils" worked so well in keeping him cool why would he seek to be under the bed or behind the couch in the shade breathing very heavily until the sun goes down?? Then as soon as he gets shaved he is prancing and running around the house like he feels like a million bucks. Wouldn't it be cruel of me to make him suffer when obviosuly he is uncomfortable with all that fur?

Hes indoor only so no risk for ticks or fleas or sun burns from the sun. The only place he gets matts is on his neck( i cut them out when hes sleeping) He spends so much time and effort grooming himself he doesn't get them on his tummy or back.

Maybe I shouldn't have a long hair cat?? lol I would be more than happy to brush him 3 or more times a day if only he would let me .Also I had no idea he would have this much fur. I took him from a crack-house in Surrey when he was 3-4 weeks and dieing and nursed him back to health. He'll be 3 in August so its not like he's a senior in his final years.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
The thought of sedating an animal for grooming seems REALLY iffy to me. For one thing I know that the anaesthesia procedure dogs & cats undergo for dental cleanings becomes increasingly risky with age, so I would be pretty wary of sedating my pet for something as trivial as grooming.
o_O i'm actually agreeing to no sedation! that's why i recommended it!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I want to add that sedation and anaesthesia are very different things, most vets use good old benadryl for sedating animals prior to anesthesia. I think some people are confusing full putting cat under with the sedation she is reffering to. Even the sleepy pill then wake up shot is shorter acting and far less risky than putting an animal out.

Deisel appears to have a double coat, selectively bred so, far beyond his capacity to groom himself. Just because "cats" should be able to moderate their own body heat doesnt mean we have not selectively bred that option out of some such as hers for the appearance.

SHD (short hair domestics) are far better equipped to both to groom themselves and find relief from heat.

I like his lion cut, Thanks for sharing the pics!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts