British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what i want to know is

is it safe to mix asian aro with south american aro?

and or what other options i have to lower the asian aro aggression towards tank mates.

thanks for any and all help.
opinions welcome as well.......

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
It should be safe as I've done it many times. Just makes sure they are the same size or the SA aro is even bigger. If the SA aro is smaller it will become jumpy if it will get harass by the asian aro.

As I suggest on your other tread. Get more pbass or more asian aros of the same size. I usually add them during water change as if you just add them right away and the aro will get excited and the harassment starts. Or both will fight.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be safe as I've done it many times. Just makes sure they are the same size or the SA aro is even bigger. If the SA aro is smaller it will become jumpy if it will get harass by the asian aro.

As I suggest on your other tread. Get more pbass or more asian aros of the same size. I usually add them during water change as if you just add them right away and the aro will get excited and the harassment starts. Or both will fight.
Thank you King-eL

·
Registered
39 Posts
SA aro=arapaima? Won't the arapaima out grow the asian aro and, assuming u have the right tank size, eat the asian?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
SA aro=arapaima? Won't the arapaima out grow the asian aro and, assuming u have the right tank size, eat the asian?
Lol! South american arowana are black aro and silver aro. Arapaima is NOT even a true arowana species nor belong to the same Family.

BTW I have mix 4-6 feet arapaimas back in asia with some 18-27 inches arowanas and other fish. They don't get eaten.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Arapaima is NOT even a true arowana species nor belong to the same Family.
Actually, Arapaima gigas and the two arowana species in the genus Osteoglossum are in the EXACT same family; Osteoglossidae.

To the OP, I know you see a lot of tanks with more than one arowana in the tank, but it is my opinion that only one should be kept per tank and the Osteoglossum sp (SA arowanas) should never be purchased, do to the fact that they obtain lengths exceeding 99.99999999999999% (or there abouts) of most private aquariums.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Actually, Arapaima gigas and the two arowana species in the genus Osteoglossum are in the EXACT same family; Osteoglossidae.

To the OP, I know you see a lot of tanks with more than one arowana in the tank, but it is my opinion that only one should be kept per tank and the Osteoglossum sp (SA arowanas) should never be purchased, do to the fact that they obtain lengths exceeding 99.99999999999999% (or there abouts) of most private aquariums.
Lol! That's where you're wrong. You still probably reading the old literature. The true arowana species belong to Osteoglossidae which are the asian arowanas, south american arowanas and the australian arowanas. The arapaimas along with the african arowana belong to Heterotididae. Both family belong to Osteoglossiformes. Both family were actually classified in the same family before but the expert separated them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lol! That's where you're wrong. You still probably reading the old literature. The true arowana species belong to Osteoglossidae which are the asian arowanas, south american arowanas and the australian arowanas. The arapaimas along with the african arowana belong to Heterotididae. Both family belong to Osteoglossiformes. Both family were actually classified in the same family before but the expert separated them.
Here, learn scientific classification...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_classification

It goes...

Family
Genus
Species

And they all belong to the Family, Osteoglossidae.

LOL!!!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Here, learn scientic classification...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_classification

It goes...

Family
Genus
Species

And they all belong to the Family, Osteoglossidae.

LOL!!!
Lol! That's where you get information...? I know about the scientic classification already.

You should contact Laurent Pouyand or Heiko Bleher and ask them if they belong to the same family.
http://www.id.ird.fr/us/centre/ScienceTeams/ur81.htm
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/

There are many debates about the arowanas and arapaimas. As some considered them in the same family and divided in two subfamilies as they were classified before. Some considered them to be separated as they just separate them just few years ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No, that is not where I get my info, it was just a quick link to help you better understand how the tree works.

As for the links, thank you, but I already frequint them. You should contact Bleher, providing him a link to your aquarium and it's inhabitants and ask him if he thinks it's a good idea for you to be providing advise on how to house fish together.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
No, that is not where I get my info, it was just a quick link to help you better understand how the tree works.

As for the links, thank you, but I already frequint them. You should contact Bleher, providing him a link to your aquarium and it's inhabitants and ask him if he thinks it's a good idea for you to be providing advise on how to house fish together.
He said YES it's a good idea. Lol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts