British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can convict cichlids, and electric blue haps, co-habitate in the same tank? does anyone know?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
they probably can.
but is not the greatest idea because of water preference for SA cichlids is lower than for Africans.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I had once asked a girl in the store about this. I was looking at some rams, I my self prefer the africans to south americans, other than oscars of course, and she said she didn't know why you shouldn't, its just not a good idea.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, the convicts are a suprise fry, they guy is trying to get rid of for 1$ a piece. My fiance found them on craigslist. I my self am sold on africans so I am not to sure about south americans.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had jeweled cichlids in with my africans and convicts never had a problem, but they did look a lot better in the right water and were a lot more healthier.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
africans are also a whole different level of aggression over south american too from my experience
i had a 6 inch green terror get his fins eaten and a chunk of flesh taken out of the top of his head by an african only 4 inches and probably less than 1/5th the mass of the GT.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Africans and SA cichlids need completely different water parameters. Not saying that you couldn't keep them together but certainly the fish would not be thriving in those conditions. This is especially true for wild caughts.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya. My problem is I love africans, that is my number one, heck, the fiance and I have 4 tanks of them now. lol But I love oscars, jack D's, convicts, but maybe this means its time for tank #9 LOL ( don't tell the wife to be )

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol. she already knows, funny part is she would mind only because 9 fish tanks is outragious. but I knwo she loves oscars and convicts too, so she wouls have trouble saying no. lol

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Many hobbyists do mix African Cichlids with other softer water species. To us, it is the same as mixing Goldfish with Tropical fish. Yes, you can achieve it for a period of time but it is always better to allow each fish to thrive in its unique environment. Of course we are not here to judge, hopefully we successfully guide people to the best choice for their individual fish.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
convicts are like rats..they breed and then you will be next with a "surprise"spawn and nowhere to get rid of the fry.
stick to african tank..and do a south american tank with one convict. :D
the rams wouldnt like your convict.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
convicts are like rats..they breed and then you will be next with a "surprise"spawn and nowhere to get rid of the fry.
stick to african tank..and do a south american tank with one convict. :D
the rams wouldnt like your convict.
agreed. convicts have been known to start spawning in the bag on the way home from the LFS lol.
i also heard of ppl putting convicts in to feed an oscar and ending up with a colony of convicts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts